Mohammed

Patron
Hi

When cleco vertical stab rear spar vs-803 and spar doubler vs-808 I noticed this hole in the middle that is not showing in the drawing. You can see the drawing to the right of the image and where the hole should be is where the dotted line is.

BQJlFLrCYAAzFxO.jpg

What is this hole for? And why it is not showing in the drawing? Should I enlarge it or ignore it?

Mohammed

Agreed, tooling hole.

They are used to locate the blank metal piece in the forming die, prior to bending it.

"Tooling hole", meaning used for alignment during the manufacture of the part.

Just disregard it, it is not part of the build.

Alignment Hole

Hi

When cleco vertical stab rear spar vs-803 and spar doubler vs-808 I noticed this hole in the middle that is not showing in the drawing. You can see the drawing to the right of the image and where the hole should be is where the dotted line is.

BQJlFLrCYAAzFxO.jpg

What is this hole for? And why it is not showing in the drawing? Should I enlarge it or ignore it?

Mohammed

This hole which exists on "later" model RV-8 empenages is useful for aligning the VS. Since this hole is right on the centerline of the rear spar, it can be used for aligning the spar to the centerline of the rear spar bracket. Match drill it to the bracket (#30) and place a Cleco in it, and it allows you to hold that portion of the rear spar alingned to the fuselage centerline while you position the lower portion and match drill it to the rear fuselage bulkhead.

Skylor