GregClawson

I'm New Here
:eek: My dad came into town to help me finish the wings on my QB -7. He shot while I bucked; we did some warm-ups on scrap, and skinned the right wing with only a few small imperfections (only visible from a tight angle due to warping the reflection). However, half way through the left wing skin, the gun slipped to the left and made the opposite of a dent...a "welt" perhaps? A wrinkle? Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way to repair the skin or do I just live with a "wing wart". The ridge is about 3mm tall and 10mm long.

Bulge? I got a tiny one on the fuse when I slipped with the bucking bar. It will be hidden by the wing.

There are "innies" and there are less common "outties." You have just made an outtie. The only way to fix it so that it will not be at all noticeable is to make it an innie, then fill it. Once the skin is stretched, it's stretched. You can't just flatten it out anymore. Wally from SynergyAir has a saying: "Do your best and putty the rest." This will be one of those cases where the putty will come in handy. I'm sure every plane has at least a little somewhere. Hang in there.

Best way to make a "dang" into a "ding"?

Okay, if my only recourse is to make the innie into an outie, what is the best way to do that. After working really hard to master the art of "Make no Dings" (not that I have mastered the art, mind you) I realize that I don't have a clue how to make a controlled ding. My nightmare scenario involves trying to make a controlled ding, and instead putting a hole through the wing! :confused:

You can use a dolly and body hammer and really smooth things out if you are real carefull. Don't try it with any other type of hammer, use a body hammer with the big hammer surface. Also a dolly with a convex surface. Practice a bit and you will be amazed at how smoot you can get small dings and dents. Don

I had one on my wing (upper surface, of course) after my son slipped with the bucking bar. I used the gun and and a flat set to gently make it an 'innie'. It will be filled later. Best would be a bodyshop hammer and dolly as mentioned, or have a paintless dent removal person come out and straighten it. You are only screwed if leaving as bare metal and making a show plane. If bare metal, I would have the paintless dent guy come out for $50 or so.

Thanks

Thanks folks. Looks like its time to add a body hammer and dolly to my tool inventory...I doubt this will be the only time I need these before the plane is done! I am very glad that I never intended to leave it bare metal; paint will hide a lot of mistakes! :D

GregClawson said:
Thanks folks. Looks like its time to add a body hammer and dolly to my tool inventory...I doubt this will be the only time I need these before the plane is done! I am very glad that I never intended to leave it bare metal; paint will hide a lot of mistakes! :D
Gregg, Once you use it you will find all kinds of uses for it. I find I reach for it often to work an edge down or roll a corner. Don

GregClawson said:
Actually, in this case, if your outtie is on a flat part of the wing skin, just put a heavy, flat bucking bar behind it and tap it at low pressure with the flush set in your rivet gun. If the dent isn't too big, there might not even be much to fill. Probably no need to buy any body shaping tools at this stage, if ever, though it does sound like others think them useful. Good luck.

Paintless dent removal

First off, this may not work--depends on how extensive it is and how much the metal is stretched. BUT it is simple and can't hurt anything. I have used it very successfully on several dings and dangs. Take a big spoon. Put your thumb in it and press against the metal. Start at the very outside of the damaged area and work in circles, smaller and smaller. Press only hard enough to bring the metal down to the right level. Go over it several times until it is "right." You will be surprised at how well it can work.

Bob Kelly

Isn't the opposite of a dent... smooth?

A good friend suggested using dry ice to pop out a small dent, as long as the metal is not stretched... I haven't had a chance to try it yet though.

Last edited: