gasman

Well Known Member
Friend
What is the best color to use to reduce glair? I guess flat black, but we still need a little class....... What did you use?

I'm partial to beige, but the real key is to use a flat paint, whatever color it is. I see many RVs painted with gloss interiors, and gloss is far more likely to reflect into the canopy.

I agree that flat paint will reflect less but it is also much harder to keep clean. I am going to use gray semi gloss. We'll see how it comes out.

Interior Paint

I used grey primer inside the cockpit as I plan a Military paint scheme when I eventually get to paint it. It's either fly and pay for gas, or paint. (Guess I'll have to get my wife to find a better job!)

Used black "krackle" finish on the instrument panel. The krinkle finish dulls the shine and it really looks neat. A lot of people that see it comment on how good it looks. Comes in a rattle can.

Waste a can practicing your aplication techniques before you tackle the panel. The instructions on the can are good, but it is a little tricky. Follow the instructions and you'll be O, K. after a little practice. Its worth a can just to see how it looks if you're not familiar with it.

Not sure I buy

the reflection as a problem...I used white gloss body colour on all of my canopy frame and panel...Its just not an issue even in bright sunlight.

Frank 7a

A couple guys in our builder's group have used "Rustoleum Hammered Gray" and it looks pretty good. Rattle can stuff and it did show in a couple spots, but overall it looked good! It's a dark gray, not flat. Both are still building, so we don't know about reflections yet.

Used gloss white PPG paint - no glare problems at all. However, I did do my panel in a semi-gloss rustoleum gray.

Grey

I read in the Transport Canada Instrument Procedures Manual that one of the preferred colours for panel is grey... most instrument cases are black and these stand out better against a grey background.

interior color

This may not help much, but back in the day of building race cars, we would paint the interior black to combat the glare from the track lights. The only problem was during day races, the inside of the car was transformed into an oven!

Allen

The darker and less glossy, the better for glare - no exceptions. But will retain heat.

I have a semi-gloss gray interior paint. Very durable and a good heat compromise IMO, but still get glare on a bright, sunny day.

I really like the primer only interior of the old mlitary planes and considered that for my RV-8 but I found that the primer I used is fairly light in color (green) and very flat and gets dirty very easily. Because it is flat it does not clean of as easy as a gloss or semi-gloss so I opted for a semi-gloss gray.

Took us ages to decide colours, wanted something to match the scheme but not bland.

We went for a warm grey inside - found a - er - loose bit on the trim on my Airbus at work, got it matched.

Same for the panel, I was driving a Chrysler rental and really liked the interior darker grey colour - would you know, there was a loose bit of trim in the rear !

The paint shop is used to me bringing bits and pieces in now - I usually get a rattle can made up to match, then if it is OK, go for 30% flatting agent which takes the shine off really well :D

Best interior color

Don't paint anything you lean on, black. It will get really hot. Priming out of the sun's reach can just be varnish with enamel hardener. Brush it on thin and you're done. Many paints flatten with age, so don't worry how it will look when it first dries. I've had lots of cars that would fit your flatness criteria. Use some color. Break the mold.

Night

frankh said:
the reflection as a problem...I used white gloss body colour on all of my canopy frame and panel...Its just not an issue even in bright sunlight.

Frank 7a

Frank, what about at night. I would imagine the reflection in the canopy could be much worse then.

Bob Barrow