Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I am wondering how much is involved with a conversion from a 430 to a 430W. After reading about it on the internet, some avionics shops are mentioning coax changes, autopilot reworks, blah blah blah....or are they just building up the profit margin for work to be done?

My autopilot is a Trutrak (2 axis) but does not have VS and is joined to the 430. Also have the 106 CDI.

Other than a check to Garmin, change out the antenna and slide the upgraded unit in the panel, is there anything else you must do physically?

Also, what about paperwork and how long did it take to get the upgraded unit back?

I just upgraded my GPS 400 (GNS 430 w/o nav/com) to a GNS 430W. When Stark made my harnesses I had them wire it for a 430W so all the connections to the antennas, autopilot, EFIS, transponer and audio panel were already in place. I assume most of the pin-outs we typically use are the same.

Aside from pulling the 400 out of the tray and sliding in the 430W, the only change I needed to make was for the GPS antenna. The WAAS antenna has the same mounting screw pattern, but uses a TNC connector instead of a BNC connector. The 430W requires a higher minimum dB loss for a 430W than a 430. To get to that minimum I replaced the old 8 foot long coax with one that was about 14 feet long.

Assuming all your harness wiring to the other avionics is in place, I wouldn't think there's much to do with anything else. You might want to record all the config pages in the 430 and make sure the config in the 430W is set correctly. The shop will also likely run through the different test procedures listed in the install manual to make sure everything is working properly.