Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I did not want to hijack the thread below so I posted this one.
What is a Customs sticker and what does it do for you? I have not flown out of the US in about 17 years. This must be something that has come along since.
Thanks in advance!

You need one to re-enter the US after traveling to another country. It shows CBP that you paid that year for the privilege of using their services. It's good for the current calendar year only, regardless of when in the year you buy it.

Even 17 years ago you had to get one. Back then, though, the customs guy would have just asked for $25 and handed you the sticker and paperwork. If you were not going out of the country for the rest of the year you may have just thrown it away.
Now, as the threads say, you need to get it in advance of re-entering the country, so you are pre-paid for the privilege of being searched.

Now don't get me started on the privilege of having a radio in the airplane which I might use out of the country...

Customs Stickers

Charles..

Here's the link where you can purchase one.

https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/

It cost $27.50 ( if you go standard delivery, a little more for a faster delivery ) and is good for a year.

When you call ahead to let Customs know that you are coming ( As per the eAPIS process ) mention that you don't have a sticker and they will tell you if you can proceed,

Most of the Customs officers will sell you one if you happen to show up without one.If you have purchased one but didn't get it before your trip, bring the letter ( receipt ) saying that you paid for it and that will be fine.

I just got mine for 2014.

Best of luck

Bruno

Last edited by a moderator:
Charles..

Here's the link where you can purchase one.

https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/

It cost $27.50 ( if you go standard delivery, a little more for a faster delivery ) and is good for a year.

When you call ahead to let Customs know that you are coming ( As per the eAPIS process ) mention that you don't have a sticker and they will tell you if you can proceed,

Most of the Customs officers will sell you one if you happen to show up without one.If you have purchased one but didn't get it before your trip, bring the letter ( receipt ) saying that you paid for it and that will be fine.

I just got mine for 2014.

Best of luck

Bruno

Customs Officers can no longer sell you a sticker at the POE if you show up without one. They will "fine" you $27.50 (the cost of a sticker, but still a fine), have you fill out the sticker request, then clear you to enter the US. They have to note in the system that you were "fined" for not having the sticker for the system to accept the entry.

It is no big deal as long as you don't have any other issue with Customs during the year. But it will slow down your entry in to the US and if they are busy it can slow you down a lot.

:cool:

Stickers

''Customs Officers can no longer sell you a sticker at the POE if you show up without one. They will "fine" you $27.50 (the cost of a sticker, but still a fine), ''
---------------------------
Thanks Galin, good to know eventough I don't plan on entering the US without one..:eek:

Bruno