Be careful......

There have been quite a lot of scams in the last couple of years featuring used high value Garmin equipment.

These days, you also have to ask why a 430 ?

There are better and clearer units available. We have a 695 mounted just forward of the fuel lever - perfect vis and can drive all the bits and pieces we want. Obviously though - doesn't do the radio ;)

If it is WAAS eligible and 12/24 volt 4k is a deal if it is from a reputable seller.
To compare a 430 to a 696 is beyond bizarre. A 696 is VFR only, no navcom capability.

A WAAS unit is worth $6,500 used in good condition in today's market. It costs $3,500 or so to upgrade non-W to W. The upgrade comes with a warranty and a basic overhaul. So, a new upgrade is worth more than $6,500 by a little, say $7,000 max. That would mean you need to get the non-W for $3,500 max if you want it to end up a -W unit. If not, then that's a great NAV-COM and IFR GPS for $4,000, but probably still a little too expensive.

Another data point...

I will soon be selling a 430W that was upgraded to WAAS in 2012 by Garmin and sat for 3 years before installation and one flight that did not end well (no harm to pilot). I purchased the airplane from the insurance company to part out (lots of Dynon stuff).

I was planning to ask 7500 but would accept 7. Pricing below that will sell it more quickly.

$4000 for a non-waas is about right. I just bought a 430W for $6500. When you see them at that price ACT FAST. (Jesse can attest to the that)

The upgrade price of $3k sounds right. It adds precision GPS approaches and it can be used as your ADS-B position source. If you don't need precision GPS approaches and have another 2020 plan then the 430 is a great unit.

And no, a 695/696 is not comparable. I have a 696 for EFB, ADSB-In (GDL-39), XM radio, etc but it is not an IFR Navigator.

Last edited:
If it is WAAS eligible and 12/24 volt 4k is a deal if it is from a reputable seller.
To compare a 430 to a 696 is beyond bizarre. A 696 is VFR only, no navcom capability.

I did say it didn't do the radio.......:D

Depends what you want out of a unit and there are much more comprehensive units around now compared to the 430.

Anyhow, in the UK, we can't fly IFR or at night :rolleyes:

Oh, and the 696 doesn't exist over here, no satellites, which is a real shame.