bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
In a dual G3X Touch setup, if the PFD fails, is the MFD (through reversion) considered the backup instrument?

In a dual G3X Touch setup, if the PFD fails, is the MFD (through reversion) considered the backup instrument?

Well, I'd say it's a matter of semantics. The G3X displays do provide redundancy via reversion if either display were to fail. However, for many (myself included) the term backup refers to a stand alone capability not physically associated with the primary system. For example, a Garmin G5 (or something similar) would be a backup for the primary EFIS.

Well, I'd say it's a matter of semantics. The G3X displays do provide redundancy via reversion if either display were to fail. However, for many (myself included) the term backup refers to a stand alone capability not physically associated with the primary system. For example, a Garmin G5 (or something similar) would be a backup for the primary EFIS.

Thanks. Would the MFD be considered a backup instrument to the FAA?

Thanks. Would the MFD be considered a backup instrument to the FAA?

Not sure what you mean -- there are no FAA backup instrument requirements for E-AB aircraft although it's a good idea if you plan to fly in IMC. Having said that, from a standard certified aircraft perspective, pretty sure the answer would be no. It's not about just the display, but the entire system (PFD/MFD, AHRS, etc). In the G1000 C-172 I flew to get my IR, the backup instruments were analog AS, Attitude, and Altimeter even though there were 2 displays for the EFIS. Of course backup instrument don't have to be analog.

It depends who you ask, having recently taken the IFR checkride I asked the examiner what he wanted as I had multiple options for "partial panel". I have a dual screen G3X, G5 and a Sandia SAI340. I was comfortable flying partial panel with just the G5 or even the Sandia with Ipad if necessary, depending on what he wanted. In the end he was happy with just covering up the PFD, I flipped the MFD to reversionary mode (PFD) and life was good :D