Tom Martin

Well Known Member
I was in at my local John Deere Dealer today picking up a box of parts. When I got the bill for $500 I was amazed and said to myself "I cannot believe how much stuff I got for $500"! It was then I realized that I was still thinking airplane parts and it occured to me that;

What I like about owning an airplane is that it makes everything else in life that I purchase seem like a real deal!

What do you like about owning an airplane?

Too funny ...

.. I've made that very same comment to several of my friends. Things whose cost would make me gasp a few years ago don't even get a raised eyebrow today. Friends try to scandalize me with stories of heinous prices to get their car repaired, and I just smile and think how reasonable that cost seems.
The idea of getting "acclimatized" to aircraft prices is a scary thought, however. :eek:

Yup - Spent about ten years living on the water with boats and jet skis. the neighbors all thought marine parts were so terribly expensive - but since I'd been owning airplanes for most of my adult life, I found the prices for water-toy parts to be quite reasonable....by comparison!

Then I discovered Experimental Aviation! :)

What I like about owning an airplane is that it makes everything else in life that I purchase seem like a real deal!

What do you like about owning an airplane?

Tom,

Some other things do seem like bargains by comparison. Gas for the car is $3.00 a gallon, and for the airplane at home plate is $4.40 a gallon. But...

For about 75 bucks:

I can put gas in one car tank and drive...or...

I can put gas in two wing tanks and chase you around a course as fast and low as we can go for 150 miles...grinning ear to ear all the way!

That's what I like about owning an airplane! (among a few others!) :D

Cheers,
Bob

Life is too short to go slow...

...and the view of God's beautiful earth from our perch is just indescribable!

Those are the things I like about airplanes....:)

Best,

If people would stop suing anytime a plane crashes, we too could get a big box of airplane parts for cheap. Probably could pick up a 180hp Briggs and Straton that Ace Hardware could overhaul for $500.

I wish other parts were always cheap

I needed two bolts for my Kubota tractor, I choked when the parts guy said they were discounted to $45 each. Sounds like airplane parts to me. :)

What I like is airplane parts and flying seem so cheap

What I like is airplane parts and flying seem so cheap and uplifting after 10 months of medical bills but the value of both are priceless.

Bob Axsom

What I like about owning an airplane is that it makes everything else in life that I purchase seem like a real deal!.

And we thought airplane stuff were really expensive till we got some pets from rescue that needed medical attention. Now, my wife's interest is in direct competition with my flying hobby.

I didn't think anything of dropping a thousand bucks a few weeks ago to replace both front axle hubs on my pickup - one was completely shot and the other couldn't be far behind, at 183k miles. In my mind I didn't even calculate it as a dollar value - it was immediately translated into a time delay to recoup that amount of money before I could order my engine. I plan on putting at least another 100k miles on that pickup, so as not to further delay first flight!

I always thought the plane was expensive. Then I bought a sailboat and learned a few things. For example, BOAT is an acronym. It means Break Out Another Thousand.

One weekend, on the water, we ruined the mainsail. That was the day after we ruined one of the nets (it's a multihull, with nets between the hulls). That weekend was almost five boat bucks. A boat buck is a grand. Notice that we don't have an airplane acronym like that?

My airplane never did anything like that to me.

Man, those cute little $100 foam peanut filled boxes from Aircraft Spruce sting a bit and add up! OUCH!

Thank you sir, may I have another?

Last edited: