pvalovich

Well Known Member
My -8A windscreen and canopy fairings turned out quite well except for some unwanted scratches and 4-6 sq. in. "rash" area on the winscreen where sandpaper had somehow penetrated the paper covering (still haven't a clue how it happened). Decided to micro-mesh the entire windscreen to avoid distortion.

I sanded for hours IAW the Micro-Mesh instructions, but still had a haze of barely there scratch marks all over the windscreen. renewed effort with 4000 and 6000 grid didn't help. For a while, thought I was doomed to view the forward flight path through a windscreen haze.

I must be doing something wrong - but what? Can anyone relate their Micro-Mesh experiences?

Finally gave up and switched to Vans Canopy Scratch Kit. Amazing results with moderate effort. The haze is gone.

Many folks on various forums have sung the praises of Micro-Mesh. I'd like to make it work when I clean up the canopy - but seem to be lacking in unferstanding and/or skill. Any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Micro Mesh

I did not have good results with a Micro Mesh kit when I tried it on my Cessna 150 windshield. Granted that windshield was very old and had subsurface crazing, but the Micro Mesh seemed to require an inordinate amount of hand sanding (wet). When going to the next finer grit it also seemed to be difficult to remove the marks from the previous grit. Finished it off with a power polisher and some plexi polish, but wasn't satisfied. Eventually replaced this windshield.

Micro-mesh

With no direct experince, the best i can do is tell you to check out the video "Rejuvenating a canopy" on the EAA "Hint for homebuilders" website. It takes you through the micro-mesh process step by step. David