andrew phillips

Well Known Member
I heard that the 695/696 will not function after a certain time period with expired charts. Is this true? If so what are the requirement to keep it functioning including the subscription costs.

It functions just fine with expired charts - it just won't show the expired charts after a certain period of time. for instance, Approach Plates that are more than 180 days old won't show up. That's two updates/year if you also have an updating bulletin like the one you can get (through subscription) from Flight Charts.

I selectively update the database items on my 696 - fortunately, Garmin breaks the updates down into several packages - prices on their web site (somewhere).

Paul

It functions just fine with expired charts - it just won't show the expired charts after a certain period of time. for instance, Approach Plates that are more than 180 days old won't show up. That's two updates/year if you also have an updating bulletin like the one you can get (through subscription) from Flight Charts.

I selectively update the database items on my 696 - fortunately, Garmin breaks the updates down into several packages - prices on their web site (somewhere).

Paul

Yea, Somewhere. They seem to keep them hidden. When I called two vendors to ask about the costs of keeping the data current, they did not know either and suggested that I would have to call Garmin and ask them. Makes me think of trying other brands of equipment..

Garmin has a specific website for database updates. Go to www.flyGarmin.com, register your aircraft and Garmin product and it keeps track of all of the databases for you and it is easy keep updated.