Vansconvert

Well Known Member
I am contemplating having a hangar built. What are the pros and cons of Metal vs. Pole Barn type wood frame? Does anyone have a Walter's or a Morton's Builing and if so what do you think of them?

Secondly, any opinions on heating them with in-floor heating with a boiler? The hangar will be in Northern WI.

thanks.

Hydronic heat is maybe the most efficient and is comfortable. Downside is really slow recovery after you open the door and lose your heat. A salamander type heater with a portable bottle can give you a quick hot air boost in minutes.

A buddy of mine used a tankless water heater for his floor. Everyone told him it would not work. He is quite happy with it many years later. Conventional systems store water in a tank. By design that is an inefficient concept.

Another often overlooked issue is insulate under the pad. Heat travels all directions. Why not direct it up where you want it with foil faced hard insulation?

Mark

I built (hired) a Butler Steel 60x60 Hangar, my son Peter had a local contractor build a 60x60 pole AG building with a 50 ft door. (Local building codes have changed...go figure)
The pole building cost about 1/3 less than my steel hangar, and has a pleasant ambiance, plus it somehow seems warmer in the winter.
We saved a ton of money building our own rolling track doors.

Hangar Thoughts

I have a farm shop 36X48 with in floor heat and really like it. As was pointed out, recovery time can be slow if one lets it get really cold. If one opens the door, gets the plane out and closes it, it's not too bad.
I also have an unheated 48X72 pole shed with a poured floor and a 40' Hi-Fold door.
I try to face big doors to the east or south because they get too much wind and snow from the north and west in the upper midwest in winter.
It's a delight to work in a facility where there is no flowing air, where it's as warm on the floor as it is 16' feet high.
If you do in floor heat, be careful to plan all your installations ahead of time. I wish I had added a jib boom crane to my shop, but it's too late now to put one in. You might want to pour some deep pads and put some recessed bolts in them if you think you may wish something later but don't want to commit. If you ever think you'd like a hook to use to hold the tail down, for example, put it in when you pour.
I think my floor heat cost me about $7,000. I use a conventional hot water heater that runs on LP and leave it on all year round at 60?F. Coming in from the cold, in 10 minutes you take you coat off and in 30 minutes you have your cap off if you are active.
I put 2" blue board and visquine under my floor. I poured it as a slab but probably should have poured a rat barrier. Run the heat out far enough to thaw under the door so it doesn't freeze down. If you use a hydroswing door make sure the usual snow and ice won't prevent it from swinging. I have Hi-Fold doors on mine.
I would not use a drain system. I have on in my shop and don't use it.
Mine buldings are both pole construction. Poles will rot off in 30 years or less. I'm old enough that I don't care. You can put poles on top of the concrete pad or put them on a pony wall, in which case you can even use simple frame construction.
My shop is insulated with 6" bat and has a ceiling with 12" blown in. I put 2" foam in the door. The doors have an engineered weight, so think before putting heavy siding on the door. My shop door has 30 gauge steel on the inside becuase I dont' want any fire danger. The machine shed just has regular siding but it has a couple of sheets that are translucent and are very good for light. New stuff that doesn't crack.
I put the doors in the gable ends because you can have lower walls. The Hi-Fold and hydroswing doors don't cost much headroom. One additional truss rafter will serve as the header so you don't have to put in an extra header.

Morton building here

60 x 84 w/19' eve height w/44' High Fold door. The soil around here is black waxy clay, so it shifts and shrinks and expands a lot. A metal bldg on a slab would probably move around a lot on this soil, so we opted for the pole barn type. All doors still work after 15 years - maybe we made the right choice? Additionally, the bldg was put up in a week.

The bottom of the wood structure is the concrete form, and the slab is poured after the bldg is up.

Morton gives a price break for winter time construction....

I have no data on floor heat - we have plenty of heat here anyway! Central Texas, ya know.

Carry on!
Mark

The outer edge of the slab is poured with an 'L' shaped 'notch' in the upper corner, so that the corrugations of the metal siding rest in the notch. The idea is to close the openings in the bottom of the siding.

Nice idea, but rats are far too resourceful for that to stop them.

Charlie

Morton buildings are a good building manufacturer. If you talk to Morton owners they will tell you they offer good service to people with buildings that are 10+ years old. That's important.

I highly recommend you check out the Higher Power Door for your building. The door choice has a big effect on the final cost of your building structure. Those doors only lose 6-1/2 of headroom.

http://www.hangardoors.aero

JC

Our house came with a 45 wide by 40 deep pole hangar. While I wish it were bigger, I will solve that issue by adding a loft.

The doors are on rollers that slide inside, along the sides. This is a real pain as you cannot place anything along the sides of he hangar. I am thinking of replacing them with something different.