markscogg

Well Known Member
Got a little looseness/leak where the oil filler tube screws into the engine case on a IO-360.
What gasket is used here?
I can imagine using a normal gasket, an "O" ring or even a copper/asbestos crush gasket.
Thanks
Mark

Gasket

Flat silicone gasket from REAL, the same company that makes the good rocker cover gaskets. Properly installed these gaskets do not leak and are reuseable. Similar material to the GOOD baffle seals. Google REAL gaskets and you will find the part number for the dipstick housing gasket.

Flat silicone gasket from REAL, the same company that makes the good rocker cover gaskets. Properly installed these gaskets do not leak and are reuseable. Similar material to the GOOD baffle seals. Google REAL gaskets and you will find the part number for the dipstick housing gasket.

Second this. Messed around with the paper gasket + rtv that came from Aerosport for a couple oil changes then just bought a REAL gasket. Solved the problem for good and it is not nearly so torque sensitive.

Seals

Apples to oranges but the torque for the rocker covers is very minimal, 20-25 inch pounds IIRC. I tightened the dipstick housing hand tight, dry so far. Just tight enough so it doesn't move when you check the oil.

The issue with using a new gasket is shrinkage, leading to a loose filler tube. I had to re-torque mine at least twice in the first few months after installation (using an ECI-supplied gasket).

Have you tried just re-torquing the filler tube with your existing gasket?

The issue with using a new gasket is shrinkage, leading to a loose filler tube. I had to re-torque mine at least twice in the first few months after installation (using an ECI-supplied gasket).

Have you tried just re-torquing the filler tube with your existing gasket?

Thanks for the tip. I have a tiny leak there.

actual o-ring size????

hey gang, 14 threads on this topic, and dozens of part numbers, but can anyone tell me the I.D. of the o-ring? Not always worth ordering parts for $3 and then paying the $15 postage from ACS! :eek:
seems here and there to be listed as 1.00x1.3, but I'm not sure what that means.

....and it seems the orange or blue silicone O-ring might be superior to the black 'rubber' type that has flattened and become part of the problem ( under the cap anyway, I have the usual slight weep at the bottom gasket, even after permaseal. Haven't double-wired it yet!)
thanks all!