bret

Well Known Member
Taking delivery of the Fuse and Finish kit in a couple weeks and looking what changes or mods folks have done, like brake resevoir on L. wire looms under floor, panel suport change for big rectangel, drill engine mount to firewall on bench, step change, ?????

Changes and mods for most of us are basically too innumerable to list. I think you'll be better off asking more specific questions as your working along, and are dealing with particular tasks or areas.

It you had your engine mount, did you match drill it to the firewall while the firewall was laying flat? thought I saw someone do it on here?

It you had your engine mount, did you match drill it to the firewall while the firewall was laying flat? thought I saw someone do it on here?

I wouldent bother, it is not that difficult to begin with and there is alot of metal behind the firewall that the bolts go through. I found it very easy to do it all at once. The firewall will come with some tooling holes/ guide holes already drilled that will help you out in aligning the mount.

Bret,

The fuselage kit build starts with the firewall. The instructions don't mention lots of the little things that eventually go on the firewall. You should definitely order the firewall forward doc set of drawings and add what you can while you are building the firewall. Even better if you know now what your engine will require on there. There are a couple of nutplates that need to be added for the fuel/oil pressure sender lines and breather tube. Also doublers for the electrical contactors, gasolator/fuel lines and battery box holes. Nothing too hard to do later, but it is a pain to have to go back and undo work. The top of the firewall also should be slightly bent forward to match the subpanel forward ribs. Much easier to get that crease done crisply before all of the supporting angles get riveted on.

As for other mods, there are an infinite number of ways to customize, but I can't think of anything you would really need to plan in advance. Conduit for wire runs, ADAHAR's mount, ELT mount, and servos for Autopilot are all extras in the fuselage build.

Thanks Bruce, Cool website. Hey, I lived on La Brea in Ramona when I was at MCAS Miramar.

Your request is WAY to vague

Changes and mods for most of us are basically too innumerable to list. I think you'll be better off asking more specific questions as your working along, and are dealing with particular tasks or areas.

Bret,
I agree with Rupester. I would suggest that you sign in [so that you can use the search feature] Click on search, click on advanced search. Type in FUSELAGE MODS [or similar] select RV7 from the list of forums to search from [will save time otherwise wasted looking at info related to other models] Read the links to the threads that are found.
Charlie
PS Excellent suggestion earlier to obtain the "optional" drawings, which deal with the various firewall forward setups. Can you let us know what you plan for firewall forward? [ie 320 vs 360 engine. carburetor vs fuel injection. Fixed pitch vs constant speed prop, etc] Once we know that, I can help by sending you the relevent "optional" firewall forward drawings.