ron sterba

Well Known Member
My repairman certificate for building my RV 9A ten months ago. I want to be able to do my condition inspections. Planning to contact the local FSDO in the morning. Have all my buildings logs and pictures and ID (picture). Will I need anything else? What can I expect during my interview?

Thanks Ron

RV9A flying

FAA 8610-2.
As to what to expect, hopefully someone who has gone through your FSDO can weigh in as it seems experiences can vary wildly from FSDO to FSDO. In my own case, I was grilled for over an hour on my overall mechanical knowledge, focusing mainly on the engine/FWF systems and maintenance procedures (like setting timing, etc). Although I had my builders log and such, he never looked at any of that stuff. YMMV......

To apply for your repairman?s certificate, call your local FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) and make an appointment with an airworthiness inspector. Take the following documents with you and be prepared for a short interview.

Letter of recommendation if you have one.
FAA form 8610-2 (application)
FAA form 8130-12 (eligibility statement) Signed and notarized
A copy of your airworthiness certificate
Aircraft logbook showing the airworthiness sign off
An inspection checklist showing how you will conduct the condition inspection on your aircraft

Mel, thank you, where can I find a list of the condition items. I have see a copy early on last year around my certificate time but wasn't sure where it came from. It might have been in my EAA packet.
Vic and Todd thanks, sounds like it varies FSDO office to office. Well I'll come prepared. As for the mark on the flywheel and the bolt on the stater I would have to get that procedure clearer. My new engine from Lycoming was pre-run and I never reset the timing. Been flying and starting just fine.

Ron RV9A

My new engine from Lycoming was pre-run and I never reset the timing. Been flying and starting just fine.

Ron RV9A

Doesn't hurt to check. My new engine was pre-run, too. But the mags used stayed in the test cell, and brand new ones were slapped on my engine. The timing was off a bit.

As to the topic of this post: I probably had an easier time than anyone else getting my repairman's certificate. The DAR I used for my A/W inspection took a job with the FISDO soon afterwards. When I went down to get the Repairman's license, there he was, tagging along with the inspector. He said, "Oh, I know him. He built the whole plane satisfactorily." The other inspector left to print out the paperwork, brought it back, and I signed it. End of story.

Condition Checklist.

Check Walt Arnow's website. He has a condition inspection pdf. You will have to modify it for your 9 with it's specific hardware and issues. The processes, torques etc are all from your build book, and/or plans.

Got it late today at the Hillsboro Oregon FSDO soon to be FSO. Yes my repairmans certificate rating. Thanks Mel,you were spot on the 8610-2. I downloaded the form and filled it out longhand. Called and FSDO had a opening three hours later, I took it.Drove up and met with the gentleman. We completed the paperwork which wasn't a whole lot. Next he said show me that you completed 51% of the build. He inspected the builder log books, four of them,seven years in the making. Each day I worked I gave the page a BIG PRINT TITLE at the top of the page. Explained what I did and how long it took. When it came to pictures,about ten and I told the process of what I was doing and what part of the plane it went on. Best way to describe is if you came to my hangar and asked me a question about the plane. So there you have it, thanks to you gents for taking the edge off! Again thanks Mel. Yes drivers license and in my case my air worthless certificate.

Cheers Ron. RV9A

We completed the paperwork which wasn't a whole lot. Next he said show me that you completed 51% of the build.

Cheers Ron. RV9A

I don't think there's any requirement that you did 51% of the work. There is a requirement for the A/W certificate that 51% of the work was done by one or more unpaid workers. So if three of you built the plane, one but only one of you can still get the repairman's certificate, even if that person did less than half the work.

That's interesting point Bob, didn't know that. Well you learn something everyday. Glad the builds over! And it's flying.

Ron

I don't think there's any requirement that you did 51% of the work. There is a requirement for the A/W certificate that 51% of the work was done by one or more unpaid workers. So if three of you built the plane, one but only one of you can still get the repairman's certificate, even if that person did less than half the work.

Bob has it exactly right. The requirement for Repairman Certificate is that you must be listed as a primary builder and can show that you can competently perform the condition inspection.

If you are not near the FSDO office check with local builders and your nearby EAA chapter.

In my case the "recommended FSDO guy" visits Tucson about once a week so I could get an appointment in my hangar at our Airpark.

When you have the appointment, email him/her a copy of the form in advance, there are some little gotchas that are easy to sort out before the appointment.

This saved me a 2 hour drive. :)

Last edited: