I wouldn't place the order at all - at least not yet. Many builders would simply do something (many different methods) to repair that hole and keep going, but I don't like the very short distance between the two holes myself. It might be salvageable, it might not.

In any case, I would set the VS aside and keep going on the rest of the tail. If you get all the other parts done and DON'T need anything else from Vans, then consider yourself lucky and order only the VS skin. There is no need to build the empennage in any particular order - they are not assembled to anything else until you have the fuse nearly built.

I agree. Many times, as soon as I placed one order, that night I came home and did something such that I needed to place another order. It is not a bad idea at all to work on something else for a while until you need to order something for that, too.

I did the same thing. I did mine on the rudder. I think I had a little more edge distance.
I would move to the rudder, order the parts later if you need to.

I guess I'll just keep moving... waiting on alodine/primer to arrive anyways...

sorta numb right now... between the splitting headache i've got from being sick and double tapping that skin after putting so much work into it... its always the other guy these things happen too :rolleyes: :p

Thanks for the advice.

Tom

That looks like a hole that could simply be flattened out, deburred, now, and then dressed up later. Meanwhile I'd just dimple the correct hole and move on. If that's the worst cosmetic error you make, you'll be doing well. Looks like that's also a hole that will eventually be under the VS fairing?

VT-2 alumni here, c.1979-1980.

Last edited:
Double Trouble

If you're planning on painting the aircraft you can use your hand squeezer to flatten the dimple then simple use some good light weight filler (Aero-Poxy)and you should never see the boo boo again. I'd use a deburring tool on the hole and then sand around the hole to make a good bonding surface, apply the filler, dry and sand smooth with and orbital sander.
Charlie, Tucson

That looks like a hole that could simply be flattened out, deburred, now, and then dressed up later. Meanwhile I'd just dimple the correct hole and move on. If that's the worst cosmetic error you make, you'll be doing well. Looks like that's also a hole that will eventually be under the VS fairing?

VT-2 alumni here, c.1979-1980.

I agree. Did the same thing on my -8 years ago. Flatten it, dimple the correct hole, fill it when it comes time to paint. I don't think you have to worry about the airplane falling apart because of edge distance on that one hole :D

My $0.02...

However, if you are worried about it, you could flatten the dimple, scuff the area around the hole (not a big area, just a little larger than the dimple), dimple the correct hole, and move on. When you set your rivets, leave this one for last. Mix up a tiny bit of Hysol blue (Hysol EA-9430, I believe; ACS P/N 02-18600 is enough for all your oops-to-come plus the fiberglass work you'll be doing), clean the scuffed area well with naptha, and patch over the hole. Once it sets, use a dremel to grind it flush with the skin, re-drill out the correct hole, and counter sink. If you are careful not to countersink into the dimple you can finish the Hysol edge with a bit of sandpaper to round it and make it match the dimple. A dab of primer in the hole and set the rivet. Once it's painted you'll never know. By the way, it takes a lot less time than the directions would make it seem, other than the wait time on the Hysol. If Hysol can hold a pressurized Lancair together, then it should be able to repair that tiny hole.

I have one of these on my vertical stab but it is covered by the empennage fairing. If it will get covered, just do as the other guys said and keep going. This is one of the most common mistakes by new builders.