WingnutWick

Well Known Member
Hello all,

I am on the verge of getting a Dynon D10A to replace my old broken AI. I understand all elements of this are internalized for the most part (unless you want an exterior mag sensor). My question is, besided just ordering the D10A, what else specifically will I need to make this work (ie harnesses, etc) I don't have any experience in this so links to the items would be a big help.

Also, does the D10A have EMS capabilities as well?

Thank you!

Charles

You'll need pitot and static plumbing and power. It will function as an EMS with the appropriate sensors, probes, harness(es), etc.

It has an internal AHDRS, but it will work better if you get the compass module. Also, get the OAT probe and once you connect your GPS input it will display TAS Winds and OAT. Also, with suitable GPS input it has a page that is a CDI and the CDI is also indicated on the bottom of the main attitude page.

The EFIS-D10A is EFIS/flight instruments alone, but can also display an HSI as a navigation instrument. No engine / EMS functions.

Dynon does make an EMS-D10 unit which is a pure EMS that fits in a 3-1/8" panel hole

Let's get stared with this brochure which covers the options for a Dynon D10A:

http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dynonavionics.com%2Fdownloads%2FLiterature%2FD10X-Pricing.pdf

First choice is a D10A vs. D6. The D10A adds an autopilot (if you buy servos), an HSI, and the ability to talk to other Dynon products. Here is a more in-depth comparison:
www.dynonavionics.com%2Fdownloads%2FLiterature%2FD10X-Product-Comparison.pdf

The one main thing the D10A and D6 don't come with in the price is a wiring harness. You can make one yourself, or you can purchase one for $90.

There are some other options that you can see in the list like a backup battery (which can be added at any time) and a flush mount bracket if you want the unit to be installed in a cut out rectangle instead of a standard 3 1/8" hole.

An OAT probe is optional with the D10A which will give you True Airspeed, Density Altitude, and winds.

The D6 and D10A can use your standard pitot and static systems, or they can upgrade to our AoA pitot probe.

The D10A will not do any engine monitoring. For that you would need an EMS-D10 as well, or you can step up to a FlightDek-D180 which does both in a 7" screen for only $1,100 more than a D10A.

Feel free to call our sales line to talk through your options, even if you are going to purchase from a dealer eventually.

Hello all,

I am on the verge of getting a Dynon D10A to replace my old broken AI. I understand all elements of this are internalized for the most part (unless you want an exterior mag sensor). My question is, besided just ordering the D10A, what else specifically will I need to make this work (ie harnesses, etc) I don't have any experience in this so links to the items would be a big help.

Also, does the D10A have EMS capabilities as well?

Thank you!

Charles

To make it work as a replacement AI all you will need is the harness which you can build yourself. Now if you want to unleash all it's capabilities then the list gets slightly longer.

Li-ion battery for backup power.
Plumbing to connect the Pitot/Static/AOA lines.
Dynon Pitot tube to get AOA indications.
Remote Compass and OAT probe.
Servo's if you want an autopilot.

For engine monitoring you will need a D10 with sensors in addition to the D10A.

The best part is that you can start with just the D10A and add capabilities as your budget lets you. You don't have to do all of them at once.

:cool:

To make it work as a replacement AI all you will need is the harness which you can build yourself. Now if you want to unleash all it's capabilities then the list gets slightly longer.

Go ahead and unleash it, you will really get spoiled by the DA, TAS, and winds aloft features. All you need is the eternal magnetometer, OAT probe and NMEA data stream from a handheld or panel GPS.