Fearless

Well Known Member
I've decided that I want to go with the 5 point harness setup for my 9A. What does the crotch strap kit contain? If it is just a couple pieces of extra metal stock for attachment and some bolts and locknuts - the $32 dollar cost seems a little steep. Inquiring minds what to know.

It has everything you need to install the brackets just like all of the Vans subkits. It would take you hours just fabricate the brackets I think the kit is priced reasonably. Don

I just bought and installed the crotch-strap kit. I was going to fabricate the brackets myself going by the plans given to me by a friend...but I scrapped that idea after realizing that the parts in the kit would save me a lot of time. They're already stamped to the correct dimensions and have pre-punched holes.

I think the cost is definitely worth it.

You talked me into it

OK, you talked me into it. I still have a hang up paying the handling fee and shipping from Oregon. I'll have to find something else I will need down the road to add to the order - maybe the cowl plugs. Not ready for the finishing kit yet.

When I go to order the harnesses themselves it there anything else that I need to know for the crotch straps - length? I plan on getting them from Crow Enterprises - with camlocs.

My aircraft was built without the crotch strap, but I believe the installed belts are the standard 4 point Van's seat belts and shoulder harness with the standard "lift tab to release" type buckle.

Is the Van's Crotch Strap Kit compatible with these belts? I looked at van's webstore online and it wasn't clear. I would like to add the crotch strap.

Why do you want a crotch strap?

An RV9A is not aerobatic and you don't need a crotch strap even in a 7/8 unless you intend to do _veG acro

I.e hanging upside down.

Its a waste of time and money in a 9 as you won't want to wear it doing X country as its not that comfortable.

Frank

As posted in other threads here, the sub or crotch belt, is not only for inverted flight. During a frontal impact, the crotch belt keeps the sholder belts from lifting the waist belt up off the hips and into the abdomen. During this type of accident, the waist belt can cause very serious internal injury to the stomach area. A standard 3 point car belt with tensioner or 5/6 point belts ensure that the waist belt stays snug on the hips during impact.

That is why all car racing governing bodies, and sports car clubs no longer recognize the 4-point belt as a valid restraint.

Help hold me in place

Frank,

You are correct in that I wouldn't need them because of not doing acrobatics in a 9 but after searching the posts about comments on the crotch straps I would prefer to install in the event that I might get upside down on the ground to help hold me in place. Just an extra insurance policy that I hope I never have to collect on.

OK, you talked me into it. I still have a hang up paying the handling fee and shipping from Oregon. I'll have to find something else I will need down the road to add to the order - maybe the cowl plugs. Not ready for the finishing kit yet.

When I go to order the harnesses themselves it there anything else that I need to know for the crotch straps - length? I plan on getting them from Crow Enterprises - with camlocs.

The Crow crotch straps fit with no modification but I would get them a few inches shorter. When you order the Crow harness you want the shoulder harness about 10-12" longer than stock. Also order them with 1/4" holes as they come stock with 5/16. Crow is great to work with and they can modify the harness any way you want. Just as nice as Hookers but half the price. Don