Danny7

Well Known Member
I would like to visit someone an hour away, it would be great to fly a plane to their farm. They can't guarantee there will be grass suitable for landing, so sometimes the farm (private) road would have to be used. this is gravel, in good shape 10 months of the year. what do you guys think of landing on something like that with your 12?

Castering nosewheel....hmmmmm. Lots of people do it all the time with no problem. Personally, I would want to know every inch of the grass strip...no bumps, cracks etc. There is no definitive answer.

Not a problem. Take off on gravel would require a little throttle at first to get rolling, then feed in the throttle to avoid picking up rocks. I would opt for short grass / pasture if you walk it first, looking out for critters! ;)

I fly off a grass strip at my farm,but as Pete says, I know every inch of it and keep it fit and groomed like a golf course.

As far as gravel roads(the good ones) I land on them all of the time with my Challenger BUT is has a steerable nose wheel.(and slower landing speed)

As far as My RV 12 there is NO WAY I would land or take off on a gravel road here in South Dakota. The roads are narrow and have steep ditchs on both sides. One little slip and your in the ditch. CRUNCH .

Brad Stiefvater
Salem SD

This Ain't No Rans Man!

Landing on gravel is not a problem. But every time you have to pay a small Penalty. Penalties consist of Small Chips on various places on your plane. The RV12 has a composite prop. So you may get some chips there as well as on your paint job, on you cowl, on your fuse, on your wings, on your plexi and more chips on your wheel pans if you have them on. Is there a paved road near by such as just out side the gravel road. You could land on the paved road and shut down and park on the gravel road. The problem is that darn prop is a vacuum cleaner.:D: Good Luck