fstringham7a

Well Known Member
Hi to all

My post on the fast track hub opened up my thinking or maybe better put showed my lack there of! In my minds eye I see this sleek, show winning RV7A with all the bells and whistls money can buy. IFR capable to the the point of 777 zero visibility landing capability, redundancy over layed redundancy. On board weather radar, complete entertainment system (I mean the works), HUD for better instrument scan, three axis dual gps coupled auto pilot, Garmin 496, hand held nav/com........................alright where is it all going to fit, is the technology available, and oh ya weight and balance.

I started the project using Van's notion of a light, clean, high utility, inexpensive airplane to get me from point A to point B relativly fast, safe, and sound. But as the project progressed, reading here and other forums and what others have done, and my desire to have the biggest, best, fastest, bad machine I may have lost sight of my original goal. Which was: Have an enjoyable build process, enjoy/copy where appropriate/admire other builders efforts, and build a plane that would serve as a cross country / day tripper / fun around the patch type aircraft. The first two goals are still in the mix. I have and still (Since Sept 4, 2004) enjoyed every minute of the build. To say the least this and other groups expertise has really made this build process so much more enjoyable, easy, and friendly. You guys are great. But I need now to look to the end game and as the cable guy would say "gitter dun"

Now back to the question? What do I want my panel to do? IFR capable, (never plan to put this plane in heavy soup), Garmin Stack (Built around the GNS 430), Dynon EFIS, Dynon EMS, Trio EZ/Altitude hold. I could easily except this offering but my nonflying copilot wife is going to want some entertainment to pass the time (take her mind off of the fact she is at 10 k feet with her life in my hands). I think an I pod / portable DVD player interfaced with the audio panel would do the job. So...am I on the right track, are there options I am passing up, and how does on plan for and install the entertainment interface?

TIA for allowing me to ramble and to ask I hope at least one coherent question.

Frank @ SGU RV7A 'NDY"

Last edited:
What do you consider to be "heavy soup" ? Weather systems can be hundreds of miles wide, even if they don't contain ice or thunderstorms. If you have an electrically-dependant airplane and the alternator quits when you are in or on top of an overcast, you might not be above (or within 30 minutes) of a suitable IFR airport.

Now what do you do? Your trusty Lycoming is going to continue to run, because your mags are self-generating, and it has a mechanical fuel pump. But the battery will be dead in 30 minutes or less......................no com, no nav, no attitude reference......................

Last edited:
John

Great points.

My notion of IFR is 1. Get the ticket to be a better pilot. 2. Pre flight planning to know weather is favorable during all phases of the flight 3. Alternates/ alternates/alternates......If the weather plays an ugly trick change the flight plan and get down in a practical, effecient, and TIMELY way. 4. Back ups. In my post I failed to mention I will have appropiate instrument back up. ( as a side note the dynons have internal batteries....now i know that they may not even last to get me through the soup) so I am wiring the aircraft according to lectric Bob's Z 13-8 which has the back up alternator.

I guess in the real world bad stuff happens and it is important to practice IFR, be conservative in your capabilities, make flying decisions as if your life depended on, and keep the plane and its components in tip top shape.

John, again thanks for enlightening me and others on the need to take a comprehensive look at the total package with regards to the PANEL ?????

Last edited: