Race121

I'm New Here
Hi all,

As the title would lead you to believe I am considering flying an RV to Canada in August. I have learned via the Transport Canada website that I will need to get a:

?Standardized Validation of a Special Air Worthiness Certificate - Experimental for the Purpose of Operating a United States Registered Amateur-Built Aircraft in Canadian Airspace

Does anyone have any experience with this that they would be willing to share? Is this REALLY as simple as it looks? Print the Standarized form and you're done?

Other than this Stardardized Validation are there any requirements that are needed that differ from the U.S.? The form would lead me to believe that as long as the aircraft is appropriately certified and so equiped in the U.S. it is legal in Canada (i.e.- Day VFR vs Night IFR).

I have flown Parts 91, 135 and 121 into and out of Canada but never in an airplane that was issued a Special Airworthiness Certificate.

I am somewhat familar with US Customs and CanPass but any pointers now would save me a lot of trouble later!

Thanks in advance,

R121

Hi all,

As the title would lead you to believe I am considering flying an RV to Canada in August. I have learned via the Transport Canada website that I will need to get a:

?Standardized Validation of a Special Air Worthiness Certificate - Experimental for the Purpose of Operating a United States Registered Amateur-Built Aircraft in Canadian Airspace

Does anyone have any experience with this that they would be willing to share? Is this REALLY as simple as it looks? Print the Standarized form and you're done?

Yes. (Plus all the stuff you'd normally need for a non experimental flying into Canada). Flying into Canada is way less painful then flying back into the US. :mad:

If your aircraft is legal in the US then it will be legal in Canada.
You WILL need a passport
You WILL need a eAPIS account (US requirement)
You WILL need a US customs sticker
You will need to file a flight plan
You need a Mode C transponder (US requirement)
You will need to contact CanPass to book a customs time, two hours in advance of arrival http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/canpass/menu-eng.html

You can not transport firearms into Canada
You must declare alcohol or smokes just like you would if you were in a car.

Should be that simple...

That's what I've been led to believe. I fly over Canada a lot (from North of Detroit to Ohio), but have not yet landed. I have a copy of the form on board in case that ever changes. I think I got the from from an EAA website. You can always call the AOPA and ask them.

Just to correct one minor point. You CAN transport firearms into Canada. You just need to know how to do it properly. Contact the Canadian Firearms Centre at 800-731-4000 for more details. Restricted firearms (handguns, AR-15-style rifles) may only be transported to Canada for the purposes of target shooting. If you usually pack a 1911 or Glock as your "survival gun", leave it at home. If you're travelling to Canada to attend a pistol match, well you've got a good reason to have the pistol on board. Remember that you'll need to have it stored in a locked container, with a trigger or action lock in place, and of course, all the appropriate (expetive deleted) paperwork in place as well...

They Will Bill You

Be aware they will bill you for using their airspace/control. I got a bill about 60 days after my visit just across the border. Actually two bills, one user fee, one for the staying at their airport with not a single place to tie down.

Hans

AOPA

The AOPA web site has an excellent area for foreign travel and particularly comprehensive pages for Canada and Mexico. I thought the new ELT was required too but it currently says 'either' on the list of requirements. This one surprised me: •Restricted radiotelephone operators permit

Last edited:
bits 'n bites

sorry, this is not a good comprehesive list....
welcome to Canada! We need to encourage you guys to keep coming north!
Call around to find the airfields that don't have fees!...they still exist.
I don't know about the Evil NavCanada user fees.....that's new to us too, since they privatized control of the airspace.

I think if you are flying over sparsely settled areas, you just need to add an axe to your U.S. kit.
also be aware of restricted items that fall into the 'grey' areas, like bear spray, hi intensity frickin' lasers etc.:)

Interestingly enough....

Be aware they will bill you for using their airspace/control. I got a bill about 60 days after my visit just across the border. Actually two bills, one user fee, one for the staying at their airport with not a single place to tie down.

Hans

...the fee was a little less if you land in Alberta first due to no Provincial tax...:)

At around $25 US dollars for 3 months (minimum charge), it wasn't too bad, and it pays for the many "unicom" operators at smaller airports that act like tower controllers...

Also check out the Canadian traffic patterns, they are quite different from the US, the AOPA site has details.

Emergency equipment is required, some detail here...

http://www.equipped.com/ak_cnda.htm

...and flight plans are required, but can be personal ones... again, AOPA details requirements.

Last edited:
A few more details

1] You do need to file a flight plan to cross the U.S. border in either direction, you must be in contact with ATC when you cross and be squawking an assigned (not 1200) beacon code. The interesting part of this is that ATC is unaware of your VFR flight plan and you end up telling them it exists and some of the data from it. Sometimes FSS will get you the code from ATC but sometimes you have to call ATC for it once airborne. Remember to close it. This applies whether you land or not. IFR plans are pretty much the same as domestic flights.
2] When flying within (take off and land) Canada you are required to file a flight plan if the flight is more than 25 miles and there may be other requirements. This is the one that can be "personal" if someone is expecting you, knows your route, etc.
3] NavCanada will bill you quarterly and this is not the same as any airport fees. In some cases, NavCanada is not involved. Example: flying from Detroit to Ohio across Canadian airspace you go from Detroit Approach to Cleveland Approach and Canada is not involved but if you get far enough north east, London is the controlling agency and then you get billed.

4] In addition to the differences in the pattern (no 45 degree entry), VFR on top is not allowed and that would include on top of a broken layer since that constitutes a ceiling in both countries.

There is another one...

Check out this airport diagram (on page 2): http://www.dot.state.mn.us/aero/avoffice/ops/airdir/pdf/pinecreek.pdf

The southern 2/3rds of the runway is in the US, the northern 1/3rd is in Canada. If I'm not legal in Canada what happens if I land long?

I'll have to make a trip up there one of these days just for fun.

...I found out about when I was in Cut Bank, MT last year going to Canada.

The local pilots were clearing Ross International at the border crossing at Sweet Grass, MT.

The runway runs along the border, and has both a US ID (7S8) and a Canadian ID (CEP4)

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/aviation/docs/airport-dir-missoula-to-wolfpoint.pdf (page 27)

Taildragger only airport though... I think you check in at the appropriate border, and then taxi across....:)

flight into Canada

Exactly what Tom said. Dont worry about tail number size, if you are coming to Toms to Race in August, St.Thomas dosnt charge landing fees. Its more of a pain dealing with the US side of things than it is the Canadian side. Three cheers for EAPIS(NOT)!! Cant wait till they get thier new program up and running. Look forward to seeing you in August, its will be a fun weekend with a bbq dinner and live music.

I thought I'd heard 12" tail numbers and a 406 MHz ELT are also required.
406MHz ELT requirements are not law yet in either country, and we don't require 12" tail numbers on our amateur-built aircraft, so i'm not sure why we'd want them on yours. :)

4] In addition to the differences in the pattern (no 45 degree entry), VFR on top is not allowed and that would include on top of a broken layer since that constitutes a ceiling in both countries.
VFR On Top is allowed in Canada, but up here we have to get a separate rating for it. I think it's included in your US license. If you are familiar with VFR on top operations, and fly them regularly in the US, you should have no problems flying them in Canada. Nobody will ask whether you're rated or not when you do it.

If your aircraft is legal in the US then it will be legal in Canada.
You WILL need a passport
You WILL need a eAPIS account (US requirement)
You WILL need a US customs sticker
You will need to file a flight plan
You need a Mode C transponder (US requirement)
You will need to contact CanPass to book a customs time, two hours in advance of arrival http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/canpass/menu-eng.html

You can not transport firearms into Canada
You must declare alcohol or smokes just like you would if you were in a car.

Tom,

I've been using your checklist for the GCAR preps in August.

Passport - Check
eAPIS Account - Check
Customs Sticker - Check
Mode C - Check
Flight Plan and CanPass - WILCO
No Smoking, Drinking or Shooting things in flight - Check, Check and Check :p

But...what's the Standardized Validation of Special Airworthiness Cert? Needed? Where to get? (Will check with EAA, but leads are appreciated!)

Just want to make sure I'm not leaving anything out that will get me a ride in the back seat of a RCMP stallion! ;)

Looking forward to the race! My 11 year old bartered the Air Venture Cup and the GNAR (Wenatchee) race to his 10 year old brother so he could come to Canada! Can't wait for the barn party!!

And Happy Canada Day, by the way!! :D

Cheers,
Bob

What are you flying Race 121?

What are you flying Race 121 and what class? I check www.splortairrace.org Calendar of Events, The Great Canadian Air Rally, Who's In daily to see who the competition is.

Note: Live Music! WOW - This is going to be quite an event!

Bob Axsom, Race 71, RV-6A, RV Blue Class

border X-ing

A little more North of 49 perspective.
I wouldn't worry too much about the police...We love the RCMP ( mostly......especially when they get the new Tasers that have a 3 week delay while the appropriate forms are filled out prior to use!)

I have mixed feelings about the customs guys; CBP, ICE or whatever acronym is in vogue this week. As long as its' a big secret who and what they are trying to protect us from, it's hard to understand how we are treated when crossing, and what the motivation is for a lot of the new procedures.
I fully support AWACS and UAV's patrolling for drug-runners and aliens. ( or is that MIB? :)

EAPIS will run it's course, and some will just stay home, others will give feedback, and perhaps it will become more useable.( but ever 'user-friendly'?)

I'd appreciate if you guys could PIREP after your trip and let us know how it went, and what to do/not do.?

happy contrails!

..and on the non-airplane front...

Thanks Paul. Just print and carry, is that correct?

Continuing the checklist:

* Standardised (with an s ;)) Validation Printed - Check
* Stack of $1s to trade in for a stack of Looneys to trade in for a stack of "Blues" - Check

I think we're ready! :)

Cheers,
Bob

...check your credit card international charges.

Mine was 3%, but ATM money with my Credit Union ATM card was only 1% foreign transaction fee...

special aviation event?

Thanks Paul. Just print and carry, is that correct?

Yep. I'd be surprised if anybody asks you for it, but you are supposed to carry it.

But here's maybe one more thing... I noticed that standardized validation web page says

16. participation in a Canadian special aviation event is prohibited unless authorized pursuant to section 603.06 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations;
... and http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regserv/affairs/cars/part1/subpart1.htm says

?special aviation event? means an air show, low-level air race, aerobatic competition, fly-in, balloon festival or demonstration parachute descent;​

So, I don't know, maybe you should contact the race organizers for clarification about that...

--Paul

...check your credit card international charges.

No worries, I'll just carry over $10K in bills, that amount's OK, right? ;) Just "print and carry" that too, right? ;)

OK, OK, I'm kidding! :p

But here's maybe one more thing... I noticed that standardized validation web page says

16. participation in a Canadian special aviation event is prohibited unless authorized pursuant to section 603.06 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations;
... and http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regserv/affairs/cars/part1/subpart1.htm says

?special aviation event? means an air show, low-level air race, aerobatic competition, fly-in, balloon festival or demonstration parachute descent;​

So, I don't know, maybe you should contact the race organizers for clarification about that...

--Paul

My bet is Tom has that covered. But good call!

Tom, what say you?

Cheers,
Bob

The event is an "Air Rally” the loose definition of a "special aviation event" is when spectators are invited. That is the main concern of transport Canada and this is NOT a public event, aviators only. I have spoken with both Transport and NAV Canada and all is well. I am hosting a navigational exercise, where points are awarded to those who accurately complete the course in the least amount of time.
Here is the website with all the relative information http://sportairrace.org/id334.html . We will be hosting a flyin after the “rally” with a BQ lunch at the airport, CYQS. The party will then move to my farm strip for the afternoon and evening. Campers are welcome and there are motel rooms available at this time. Put August 21st on your calendar. Call me at 519-631-1369 for details and border crossing instructions.

Last edited:
OK!! An Air Rally, Navigational Exercise, Fly-In and Barn Party!!

Doesn't get any better than that! C'mon boyz and girlz, let's get some more RV's signed up...as they said in Animal House, "This is gonna be GREAT!"

Tom, the course looks like great fun...nice job on the info page!

I didn't see any hotel info though, do you have recommendations on where to stay, and contact info. Closest to the action is my pref. I'd like to make rezzies!

Thanks for the update!

Cheers,
Bob

Received Decal Today

It is much smaller than the old decals and with the expedited delivery option it came right away. On the back it says:

"VOID IF NOT PROPERLY INSTALLED"

and gives specific instructions for the installation.

Bob Axsom

I look forward to seeing you Bob, hopefully the weather allows some flights across the border for the race. Its funny, flying to Canada is easy, it's getting out of and back into the U.S.A. thats the tricky part.