BHunt

Well Known Member
So, right now I'm a pilot in the Air Force, but one day planning to buy and build an RV-10. My goal is to start my research now so when the day comes to make the purchase, im ready. My intention is to have it IFR legal. So... What do I need to be truly legal? For example, if I want to have a non certified EFIS, (SkyView), what do I need in conjunction?

Thanks
Brad

It's easy.

Brad, there is no IFR 'certification'. You simply comply with FAR 91....something and install the required equipment.

My -10 is IFR capable with two Dynon screens...an EFIS and an engine monitor. The EFIS is set up so that my "Home" screen at boot-up is split with an HSI on the right, where my nav/approach info is displayed.

I also have an SL-30 for localizer and glideslope approaches and a 430W for precision RNAV/LPV approaches and file as /U.

If you're ever in my vicinity, you can fly my -10 left seat and we'll go 25 miles and shoot a few LPV apps.

154TAS.jpg

Dash-10.jpg

Notice the winds aloft from 201 degrees at 18 MPH...it's calculated for you continuously between the GPS info from the 430 "speaking" to the D-100...amazing...even the crosswind component shows and if you study the HSI, you can see the wind correction angle!

Best,

Last edited:
Brad,
Take Pierre up on his offer to fly his -10 if you get the chance. Having had the pleasure to fly that airplane, I can tell you it is the nicest, most well equipped general aviation airplane I have ever flown. You won't be disappointed with your -10. It is a remarkable airplane.

Brad, there is no IFR 'certification'. You simply comply with FAR 91....something and install the required equipment.

My -10 is IFR capable with two Dynon screens...an EFIS and an engine monitor. The EFIS is set up so that my "Home" screen at boot-up is split with an HSI on the right, where my nav/approach info is displayed.

I also have an SL-30 for localizer and glideslope approaches and a 430W for precision RNAV/LPV approaches and file as /U.

If you're ever in my vicinity, you can fly my -10 left seat and we'll go 25 miles and shoot a few LPV apps.

154TAS.jpg

Dash-10.jpg

Notice the winds aloft from 201 degrees at 18 MPH...it's calculated for you continuously between the GPS info from the 430 "speaking" to the D-100...amazing...even the crosswind component shows and if you study the HSI, you can see the wind correction angle!

Best,

Thanks for the offer! I'll definitely have to take you up on that one day. Just out of curiosity, what engine are you flying in your -10?

Brad

Stock engine.

Brad, I'm running an Aerosport IO-540 that Van recommends..260 HP, TAS around 175 knots at 75%/7500'/15 GPH.

Best,

Secifically CFR 91.205

(d) Instrument flight rules. For IFR flight, the following instruments and equipment are required:

(d)(1) Instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (b) of this section, and, for night flight, instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (c) of this section.
(d)(2) Two-way radio communication and navigation equipment suitable for the route to be flown.

Uhhh...is the GPS that's built into say Dynon's Skyview "suitable"?

navigation equipment suitable for the route to be flown

You can refer to the AIM, GPS (para 1-1-19) and tables 1-1-5 & 1-1-6 to help determine what the Dynon is suitable for. Also refer to AC 20-138. I suspect the Dynon is a VFR panel mount.

154TAS.jpg

Dash-10.jpg

Best,

Why not /G?

If we're picking nits here... (my own emphasis added)

"(a) General. Except as provided in paragraphs (c)(3) and (e) of this section, no person may operate a powered civil aircraft with a standard category U.S. airworthiness certificate in any operation described in paragraphs (b) through (f) of this section unless that aircraft contains the instruments and equipment specified in those paragraphs (or FAA-approved equivalents) for that type of operation, and those instruments and items of equipment are in operable condition."

Wouldn't this seem to indicate that this section does not apply to experimentals?

For daytime VFR, that is true, but........

If we're picking nits here... (my own emphasis added)

"(a) General. Except as provided in paragraphs (c)(3) and (e) of this section, no person may operate a powered civil aircraft with a standard category U.S. airworthiness certificate in any operation described in paragraphs (b) through (f) of this section unless that aircraft contains the instruments and equipment specified in those paragraphs (or FAA-approved equivalents) for that type of operation, and those instruments and items of equipment are in operable condition."

Wouldn't this seem to indicate that this section does not apply to experimentals?

Operating limitations for experimental amateur-built aircraft specify that 91.205 does indeed apply for night and/or IFR operations.

Operating limitations for experimental amateur-built aircraft specify that 91.205 does indeed apply for night and/or IFR operations.

Well there we go. Since I haven't actually seen a set of operating limitations for an EAB aircraft, I was unaware of this. Thanks Mel!

Well there we go. Since I haven't actually seen a set of operating limitations for an EAB aircraft, I was unaware of this. Thanks Mel!

FAA order 8130.2G Airworthiness Certifcation of Aircraft and Related Products, has the standard op lim verbiage in it:

http://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/order/8130.2g.pdf

Another good read for every builder is AC 20-27G, Certification and Operation of Amateur-Built Aircraft:

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC 20-27G.pdf

Why do many people have 2 GPSs? Redundancy?

Brad

Well in my case I have 3. I have dual screen G3X EFIS (each screen has its own VFR GPS) and a GTN 650 which is my IFR navigator. I don't need or necessarily want 3 but they came as part of my avionics selection. So my guess would be that most have multiples for backup and AFAIK the expermental EFIS's that have built-in GPS don't have a TSO'd GPS for primary IFR Nav hence the need for an additional GPS.