Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I'm just about to start trimming the tops of my baffles to fit the upper cowl. There's lot's of good information about how to do this in the forums. e.g. paper clips, paint stickes, etc. But there is some detail that I've not found.

I have two questions. What did you trim the baffles with? Did you take the baffles on and off to do the trimming, or did you trim them on the engine?

Thanks,
Michael-

I did it on the engine with an air nibbler. There were quite a few on/off iterations with the cowl, so it would have taken quite a while if I pulled the baffles for each trimming. I packed a towel tightly over the engine to catch metal bits, but paper/tape might be better.

Metal Shears work just fine, cut it close to the line and then finish with a file and finally sand paper.

Yup - hand shears are quick and easy to use with the baffles on the engine - save lots of time.

I also used my Dremel and the abrasive wheel for the tight spots that were prone to being deformed by the snips!

:) CJ

Belt sander...

I thought I'd used every tool in my shop on my airplane. But I was wrong. I have not yet used my belt sander. I will tomorrow.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael, For the life of me, I have no idea how you could have possibly gotten this far without using your belt sander!?!

Whenever I need a long, straight edge it is the perfect tool!

I rough cut say, a baffle top and leave it proud. Bring it down to size with the belt!

On another note looking at your build log, the collective wisdom on this website (and myself included) is to not bend this ring terminal and loop the wire instead.

Stress on the ring terminal could leave you stranded at a field with a wire potentially too short to remake a connection.

IMG_0836.jpg

BTW, it looks like you are doing AN INCREDIBLY GREAT JOB!!!

Keep it up!

:D CJ

I'm just about to start trimming the tops of my baffles to fit the upper cowl. There's lot's of good information about how to do this in the forums. e.g. paper clips, paint stickes, etc. But there is some detail that I've not found.

I have two questions. What did you trim the baffles with? Did you take the baffles on and off to do the trimming, or did you trim them on the engine?

Thanks,
Michael-
Hand sheers and then a Dotco to smooth it out. Sometimes on, sometimes off. Mostly on.

A die grinder (especially an angle one) with a sanding disk works great for fine trimming after the tin snips.