DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
… Getting this weekend’s thread started. North Texas skies Friday afternoon.
v/r,dr
IMG_4459.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok. I’m a bit slow on the uptake. I just realized this thread is started anew each weekend….so, I’m reposting the post I put under the wrong date. Duh.

Nice early start to the weekend (well, it seems Thursday is the new Friday, so maybe this is the weekend already). Flew to Sisters (6k5) - in the shadow of the Sisters Peaks in central Oregon. Sisters always has good gas prices, and the little town of Sisters is a great place. Clean, lots of good food choices, and scenic. Once a mill town, it reinvented itself into a bit of stop over destination for those heading to all parts of the Cascades for anything from hiking to skiing. The FBO has a courtesy car and a handful of bikes. Or, it’s less than a mile to walk into town where all the restaurants and shops are located.

Met a fellow RV’er at the fuel bay (shout out to Tony from the SF Bay Area) and we all walked into town and had a nice lunch as well as snagged some killer pastries from the local bakery.

Another great day to be alive (and flyin’ an RV).

Saw the new Cyber Truck, too. Doesn’t seem to be holding up to the PNW weather though.

Attachments

• IMG_3729.jpeg
    IMG_3729.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3718.jpeg
    IMG_3718.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
Travelled to Wichita, Kansas to do transition training with Caleb Marsh in his RV7A. We flew a little over 5 hours over 2 days. Caleb is a great pilot and a wonderful instructor- I highly recommend him for transition training.

Weather permitting, I'll do my first flight next week.

Quick flight to the nearest non-towered airport to practice close in/short approach landings…. For Oshkosh. After about 6 I got the flow.
IMG_2552.jpeg

Today we flew to Ranfurly for a very casual AOPA gathering. Really it was just an excuse to go for a fly on a rather dull and dreary winter day. Fortunately the fog stayed away from our home airfield and the wife and I were able to get airbourne without the usual wait until 11 am for it to clear. The flight is a short hop (20 minutes in a straight line) but we took the scenic route via the Poolburn Dam to check out the ice which is usually present on the lake at this time of year, to find it wasn't frozen over yet. Yet!

Total flying time was 0.9 hours.

I can recommend the hostess's date scones - they were awesome.

Photo - Alexandra under a layer of fog and smoke on our way east. Tempertures were around 2 degrees C. At least it was on the positive side of zero.

Attachments

• IMG-20240623-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20240623-WA0007.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 63
Hahahaha! Welcome to the club old man!

There are other indignities to come, but we'll spare you for now...;)

It’s truly best I find out on my own as I think it’s not something to look forward to but more of a right of passage.
Those reader glasses were like my best friend after I found the right magnification…..
IMG_4377.jpeg

Flew to Sunriver Oregon, S21. Photo was taken at 10.5k near Weed CA. Mt Shasta still has almost 4000 ft on us!

Attachments

• IMG_0440.jpeg
    IMG_0440.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
Including a couple of days leading up to the weekend. We wrapped up a 2-1/2 week western adventure with a few days in the Idaho backcountry, playing side by side with the big wheel cubs and 185s.

Bruce Meadows

IMG_2959.jpeg

Warren

IMG_2962.jpeg

IMG_2963.jpeg

Caleb and Josh gained some high quality stick time, flying the mountain passes and canyons.

IMG_2961.jpeg

We got our exercise, this is Johnson Creek from 2000’ above the field, up on Antimony Ridge.

IMG_2967.jpeg

And then we cruised back to Pennsylvania 155-170 kts, and up to 19 nmpg (based on TAS, not groundspeed). Is there another four place airplane that can land at Bruce Meadows, Indian Creek, and Warren, and cruise like this, all while carrying a big load?

IMG_3018.jpeg

Last edited:
Fixed a TW shimmy with a new locking pin. Changed from rocket link to chains. Then flew a few laps around the farm with my spare TW before putting the new condor tire back on.

IMG_2070.jpeg

IMG_2079.jpeg

IMG_2075.jpeg

IMG_2074.jpeg