RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
I attended Aerospace Physiology Training (Altitude Chamber) at Beale AFB. Beale AFB is a U-2 and UAV base, and I must have seen at least a dozen or more U-2s and Global Hawks on the ramp.

I know many of you have done this, but in case you haven't, here are some pics... http://picasaweb.google.com/pilotbrad/AltitudeChamber

The 25'K hypoxia demonstration was really cool. One guy passed out and had no recollection of doing so, insisting he was fine the entire ride.

We watched a really funny video, which as luck would have it, I found on YouTube. I am going to post a short write-up on my blog in the next few days, and I'll let you know when it is posted.

Last edited:
I did it too

A couple of years ago at Shaw AFB. It is a full day's classroom and chamber training for only $50 - what a great deal!

The videos they show are funny to watch, but actually quite scary if you think about the consequences - one of the signs of hypoxia is euphoria. In the one I saw, an officer is being asked to name a playing card while hypoxic. He keeps saying the same thing, "five of diamonds", over and over no matter what card they show him.

The scary part is he's totally oblivious to the situation. At one point, three guys are practically screaming at him "gang load your regulator!" (i.e. put all the switch settings for positive 100% O2 flow) and his reaction is like "gee, everything's fine, why are you guys yelling at me?"

Yea, that's the vid I linked to above.

Actually, I can't access YouTube from work, so I am not sure if the link is working, but I see Brian edited my post, so maybe.

Yup

That's it! I fixed the link in my original post, thanks.

The instructors told us he was at 35,000', and that's why he went downhill so fast.

Well that brings back some memories. The only thing missing is the ofactory overload due to the pre-chamber visit to to local Mexican eatery. :DIn my case, they ended up picking one guy and letting them go until they passed out then immediately put the O2 on them. Really interesting stuff and well worth the experience if you have a chance.

If it's only $50 for the class and the ride that would be $50 well spent. I took a chamber ride every three years and I found it interesting to see how my hypoxic symptoms changed over time. If you fly at a little higher altitude and maybe at night a chamber ride can be most enlightening. Knowing your individual hypoxic symptoms could be a life saver.