Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
I am finishing a project for someone. It is an RV7 with an IO360 Titan ECI. Can someone please let me kno what prop, spacer and bolt set I sould buy. We
Would like to use the Hartzell Vans is offering with the standard kits.

The Hartzell blended airfoil prop from Vans is hard to beat. It is a lot heavier than a composite MT or Whirlwind, but is much cheaper too. It's a great performing prop.

BTW, if you don't mind losing 1" of ground clearance, the 74" version can be cut down to 72" if you ever need to have the tips repaired on the blades in the future. The 72" version cannot be cut any shorter according to Hartzell. (Yes, I know that Vans recommends the 72" on the RV-7 but you still have ample prop-to-ground clearance with the 74" since if you nose it over far enough to hit, you've already nosed it over too far for the 72" as well)

For light weight prop governors, the PCU5000X is a favorite amongst RV'ers. The MT prop governor is also a very good one too, and the later versions of the MT have fixed the issue of prop surging that affected some of the earlier production units.

My friend's RV-8 that I helped him build, has the ECI Titan IO-360 engine with 74" Hartzell BA prop and MT governor and it's a very nice, smooth, strong and trouble-free powerplant combination.

Thanks Neal,
So it will be this prop from Vans then:

PROP C2YR-1BF/F74972 (I)O-360 (180/200hp) diameter: 72"
Application: RV-4, RV-6/6A, RV-7/7A, RV-8/8A

And this governor from Vans:

MT governor (I)O-320/360 Lycoming
Part Number = PROP GOV MT P-860-4
Price = $1250.00

That's definitely a well-proven combination.

BTW, Vans also sells a ready-made prop control cable bracket that fits the MT governor for $12.75

I bet a phone call to Vans will also get you the correct bolts, spacer (if needed), etc, hardware needed to install the prop onto the engine.
EDIT: Just checked Vans website and it said the Hartzell prop comes with the mounting hardware included!

Last edited: