Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
So I've got an itch to scratch while continuing to build the 7. I have an opportunity to get into a single seat Pitts S1-C. The aircraft was not certified with an electrical system but the current owner installed a light weight starter and oddesy battery for starting. He puts a trickle charger on after flying to keep the battery ready to go. Living around the Houston class B I see the 2020 ADS-B requirement fast approaching.

Looking into the regs 91.225 says- "The requirements of paragraph (b) of this section do not apply to any aircraft that was not originally certificated with an electrical system, or that has not subsequently been certified with such a system installed, including balloons and gliders. These aircraft may conduct operations without ADS-B Out". I can't find anywhere what constitutes an electrical SYSTEM.

It would seem that the setup in the Pitts is not an electrical system, which would also have to include a master switch, bus bar and fuses, a way to monitor volts and amps and of course a charging system. Has anyone seen a definition or explanation by the FAA on what constitutes an electrical system.

I definitely don't need to buy any more boat anchors !

Use LED Nav and AntiCollision lights, plus landing light/s if you wish and you gain start of civil dawn to end of civil twilight.

No night or IFR.

The Sport Aviation article this month on the LSA Bearhawk was similar, C-90 enginr, battery and starter, single Mag and an electronic P-Mag that he seem to run only self-powered.

Interesting topic. While in Camp Schoeller this week, we were talking about using a Li ion battery as a sole power source to run the nav systems on an RV6. without "an electrical system" as defined above, there would be no requirement for a transponder or ADSB within mode C space.... interesting.

One of the handicaps of this approach is that you cannot climb above 10,000' (some exceptions due to high ground elevations) without a transponder or (in 2020) ADS-B , which is very limiting in an aircraft with the RV's performance.

I've briefly considered this as a huge cost and time avoidance opportunity to get the RV-10 in the air, but... Naah.

Now, if you were building a Cub clone...