Torch76

Hello, my name is John, and I'm an RV-addict.
Phew, now that the intro is over, time for my problem. I'm a grad student with the dream of building an -8. I have neither the time nor space to begin building, and I don't plan on being settled down in one place for a few more years. What can I do (if anything) to get ready? I'm tired of waiting!

What I have done: checked out a few builders shops, creeped on this forum for over a year, check out many builder's websites, look at as many RVs as I could at OSH, bought preview plans (I know, they'll be obsolete by the time I'm in the game), and started savings as much money for the project as my college income allows. I have all the pilot certificates I need.

Any other ideas? Thanks!
T76

Welcome to VAF John! It looks like you are a good planner and will be busy with you job for a couple years. If you think that building the airplane of your dream (RV8) is not possible as of now then why not to buy one? RV8 could be out of your budget but nice RV4 or even RV3 is within the reach of an addict I guess. It's buyers market now I saw couple nice birds in 40-45K range. Buy, enjoy and when you are ready to start on your 8, sell. As you said you have all pilot certificates and are probably very skilled pilot so your insurance will be low. Good luck with your decision whatever it will be!

hello, welcome.

I probably will be of no help, but...

what is you degree, career field, time to compete degree, expected salary, expected location, cfi, married, kids, yada, yada...?

Starting an emp kit is really not that expensive. Although it may seem like it.
There are plenty of started kits on the market that I'm sure you could get a deal on. You may even be able to borrow some of the tools or start the kit in someone else's shop. This could give you an idea whether you really want to get into it.

good luck.

Start buying tools. You can box them and move them with you until you are ready to start. Buy good quality tools and look for deals on slightly used ones here. Spray some of them with a corrrosion preventative (at least WD-40) and box them up. Bucking bars, rivet squeezer, rivet gun (3X), rivet sets, dimple dies, drill bits, etc...... look at the RV tool sets advertised at Cleveland, Avery, etc. and you'll know what you need. A little at a time, buy them on sale. You won't be sorry unless you change your mind about building. Don't buy anything like a GPS or EFIS until you're ready to cut your instrument panel. When you go to look at other people's projects, take notes on what tools they have and ask them what they wish they had. You may be able to buy some good used stuff from them. Good luck. You'll love it. And if you build a second or third, you'll love it even more....

Study

Building an aircraft is an education in the technology and craft of flying machines. So if you don't have the room/money for tools and getting started on the craft with an empennage (as pointed out above, this is not that expensive and doesn't require that much space) then at least you can start on the education.

From a variety of sources (but being a grad student you will be used to finding knowledge from books) you can learn about the technology from:

FAA AC43.13
Tony Bingellis' books on experimental aircraft from EAA
Electrical systems from The Aeroelectric Connection (Bob Nuckolls)
Fuel, and hydraulic systems - various sources
Avionics systems - vendors websites, Kitplanes magazines especially Stein Bruch's serialized articles.

BUT...the hardest decision I made was ordering the empennage. Now I wish I had done it sooner.

Start small

I drooled over Kitplanes mag for 18 years before making the first move. Start with a Builder's Class or a weekend assiting a builder in your area. Looks like you are near Indy; check out Grov-Air. I took a class from Troy a few years ago and it was less $ than a couple hours a/c rental...it was also enough to convince me I wanted to do it and COULD. Ordered the emp the following week. You've also got some time so watch for good deals on tools (squeezer, rivet gun, etc) as an investment toward the build.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Hi John!

I too am an RVaholic!

One of the guys on this forum started building his RV-3 while working on his undergrad. (He might still be in college.)

He had a picture of the fuselage in the living room of his college apartment. So it can be done. You just have to figure out how much other stuff you want to give up to feed your addiction.