UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - Any ideas as to what would be the best blind rivet to use here?

xdrnv7.jpg

I tried to use a Cherry Max, but it was too deep and hit the wing spar before bottoming out in the hole.

Thanks,
Jason

MSP-42 Pop Rivet

This is per the rivet call out on the prints...drawing 72 I think!! The instructions say very early in the riveting of the skins to loosen the sheet bottoms, pull them away from the spars along with the underlying doubler enough to put the MSP-42 pop rivets in and squeeze them before riveting the rest of the skins. Once squeezed they fit against the spar just fine when the skin is final riveted. It doesn't take much additional room.

Dick DeCramer
N500DD RV6 flying
RV8 fuslage assembly
Northfield, MN

I think I had the same difficulty. I found that you could start pulling the rivet with it not fully inserted and as it shortened you could push it fully home and then complete the pull. If you overdo the initial pull you won't get the rivet to insert fully. It needs a light touch.
BTW I don't think you really need a Cherry Max there.

Last edited:
Blind Rivet

You can still use a Cherry rivet, if it is bottoming out on the spar then you can grind away a small part of the Anvil (the part that pulls threw and formes the tail) for clearance, it's not the normal practice but for you application would work to get you out of trouble and stronger than a pop rivet.

Cheers,

Nick..

Thanks for the info... this is a QB fuselage.... I wonder why they didn't just rivet this together when assembling the fuselage.

This is per the rivet call out on the prints...drawing 72 I think!! The instructions say very early in the riveting of the skins to loosen the sheet bottoms, pull them away from the spars along with the underlying doubler enough to put the MSP-42 pop rivets in and squeeze them before riveting the rest of the skins. Once squeezed they fit against the spar just fine when the skin is final riveted. It doesn't take much additional room.

Dick DeCramer
N500DD RV6 flying
RV8 fuslage assembly
Northfield, MN

Hi Phil,

If you can still get access to the area i'd replace the pop rivets with Cheery rivets, they are a lot stronger.

Cheers,

Nick..

Use Vans rivet

I'm with Jim Green on this.
It was a non-issue to use the rivet called out by Van.
Push it in, keep pressure on it, pull it slow and allow the factory head to seat before finishing the rivet pull.
Piece of cake.