BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
Sponsor
E-Mag suggests/recommends either the NGK BR8ES or BR8EV for the P-Mag but it isn't an engine specific recommendation. I am wondering what others running the 0-360 LYC are using with the E/P-MAG and which auto plug might be preferred.

I am running a Slick/P-Mag combination and planning on the Slick on top and the P-Mag on the bottom. I thought I read somewhere that this helped the lead fouling issue.

Also, please comment if there is anything special about the plug you would recommend over the two above. The BR8EV is a Gold Palladium Center Electrode which sounds good but is there a practical/measurable performance difference?

Thanks Bill S
7a finishing

auto plugs

I have used the NGK BR8ES spark plugs for my first 500 hours of operation in an RV7a with an IO360M1 with dual PMAGs. I have changed plugs 4 times, at $2 per plug for a total cost of $64 for my first 500 hours of operation. They work great, engine starts great.

NGK BR8ES run with O-360

I haven't experimented with different plugs, but with my O-360 I have been using the NGK BR8ES with no issues. Went with those just from the E-magair suggestion you mentioned. There was one flight fairly early on where I was idling a little longer than I'd like, waiting for traffic, and got some fouling. A high power runup cleared the plugs in that instance and leaning on the ground since then has prevented a recurrence. I've removed the plugs a couple times for inspection - they look good with short amount of run time so far.

I ran dual P-Mags on those plugs for the first 26 hours or so and for the last couple hours have been running the same plugs on right side P-Mag with Slick mag on left using aircraft plugs.

It might interest people to note that while the REM37BY is approved for the O-360, the only engine it's actually recommended for is the O-235. Most recommend the REM38E or REM40E for the O-360. I really don't like the BY for anything unless you actually need it for fouling problems.

NGK

NGK BR8ES for my dual P/Mags on an Aerosport O-360

Last time I changed them, I got them at O'Riely's auto parts for about $1.75 each or so - might have been less.

Last edited:
Lycoming Approved Spark Plugs

You might want to check out Lycoming Service Instruction SI1042Y.

It will list all currantly approved plugs, including the REM37BY

NGKBR9ES

I now use the NGKBR9ES, gapped at .030". I've had great results with these plugs, I used to run the BR8's, but seem to get cooler, more controllable CHT's with the BR9's. For awhile, I was running Autolite 386's so I could get rid of the adaptors....but I had two plug failures in 50 hrs with the Autolites...went back to the NGK's and at that time changed to the BR9ES's. They run clean (after 25 hrs, they look new) and make a spark big enough to light a cig with.

I now use the NGKBR9ES, gapped at .030". I've had great results with these plugs, I used to run the BR8's, but seem to get cooler, more controllable CHT's with the BR9's. For awhile, I was running Autolite 386's so I could get rid of the adaptors....but I had two plug failures in 50 hrs with the Autolites...went back to the NGK's and at that time changed to the BR9ES's. They run clean (after 25 hrs, they look new) and make a spark big enough to light a cig with.

I run the Autolite 386's in some of my customers birds, and find that they usually work fine if they pass a visual inspection first. If you used them, do your own QC with a simple visual. The heat range is NOT correct for a Lycoming however, so if you run hot CHT's I recommend AGAINST them.