[email protected]

Well Known Member
Several threads have included some discussion on flight endurance so I thought that it might be interesting...

In my 7 over the first 350 hours... (distance is actual flight path, time is flight, both as recorded by the Garmin 696 GPS)

Longest distance leg was from KLGU to KPVW
785 miles in 3.3 hours

Longest flight time leg was from KPTW to KIKK
4.2 hours covering just 656 miles

1,130 kilometers in 330 minutes :D (610 nm 5.5 h)

Distance from the sectional timed by mechanical clock.

From memory....I have taken off from KCGZ (Casa Grande, south of Phoenix), headed for Houston, and after climbing to 13.5K, the EFIS said I had enough gas to make New Orleans with VFR reserves...but I stopped for fuel in the Hill Country as it was getting dark (don't liek to be low on fuel in the dark)- 711 nautical miles.

568.2nm

Greeley, CO (KGXY) to N.TX (52F)

3hrs 30min with a good tailwind. Farthest I've done in one leg (and about all my bladder could take).

6yflnl.jpg

Last edited:
My two longest non-stop trips:

KGLD-KMNN = 991 miles
KTKX-X51 = 928 miles

On the second longest flight, because of eighty m.p.h. upper tail-winds, I had over an hour and a half of fuel left when I landed! Rosey remembers that trip.......

Amazing little airplanes!!

Jimmyb
RV-6
1100 hrs.

My personal long distance and time records were set on the same leg during a trip from Palm Springs to Houston; Thermal, CA to Junction, TX... 853 nm in approx 4:45. Climbed to 11.5K, leaned it back, had a nice tailwind, landed with 6-7 gallons in the tanks. If only I had the ER wing tanks, an autopilot... and a relief tube! PSP to HOU nonstop would be possible then on the right weather days, but gotta admit, sometimes it's nice to stop and stretch my legs.

in my short RV and low XC travels, Aurora and I did Townsend(8U8) to Kindred ND(K74) 597nm in 3.1hrs 11500-13500msl (27gals)which includes taxi time and 1 go around on our way to Osh2011.
On the return trip we logged our longest in the saddle time KOSH to Mobridge SD(KMBG) 512nm 3.5hrs(30gals)

Great Falls MT KGTF to Perryton Tx KPYX 815 NM. I still had enough fuel to make 52f (1083 NM total) with reserves but we stopped due to weather and darkeness (Not a good combination) -15c to +20C in one leg. Love my ER tanks.

I moved the fuselage from one side of the garage to the other, about 10 feet, took me around 45 minutes since i had to move a bunch of stuff.

so that averages to about .0025 mph

Doggone it, now I have to clean up my keyboard from the mouthful of coffee I spewed all over it from reading this one.

I moved the fuselage from one side of the garage to the other, about 10 feet, took me around 45 minutes since i had to move a bunch of stuff.

I've had the plane for under a year and only taken one real trip, but the longest leg was KBJC to KEZZ, just a hair over 500 NM. I put 3.4 in the logbook.

After a pit stop, I jumped back in the plane and flew to Indianapolis, KUMP. Total for the day was 881 NM.

Non-stop flights to Minnesota and Northern IL/Southern WI are on the schedule for this summer. I'm not sure my physiology can take the 777 miles to KBUU, but we'll see.

Sacramento to Casa Grande around the restricted arera

620 n.m. 31 gallons 3.3 hours and ready for a P break. 11 gallon reserve in the tank. No reserve in the bladder.

550 ish

I have 55 gallons of fuel when not racing over long distance. I always fly wide open throttle, leaned for power rich of peak, I don't fly in the supplemental oxygen altitudes and I flight plan for 1 hour reserve+. After reading these posts I am embarased to admit my longest flight has been 565 nm and the second longest 540 nm. Without the tip tanks My longest flight was 512 nm from UNU to FYV. Low fuel is one of my chicken stripes.

Bob Axsom

Doggone it, now I have to clean up my keyboard from the mouthful of coffee I spewed all over it from reading this one.

Plus one on that comment, Rick from Fresno!

I haven't done too much long distance stuff yet, but I did get a Stadium Pal for Christmas! So far, ground testing only, but it seems like it should work real well... If you aren't familiar with the Stadium Pal, watch this hilarious clip from David Sedaris explaining it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBdymtyXt8Y

I think I would have rephrased that to 400hpm (hours per mile). Sounds much more impressive.:D

Bill Randolph has us all beat

On May 25, 2005, Bill Randolph flew his 8 from Honolulu, HI to Watsonville, CA, a shade over 2,500 statute miles. He was 77 when he made it.

Previously reported: 691NM

Back in 2009 (Cayman Islands trip), Tuppergal and I departed Lee C. Fine (AIZ) near central Missouri for Cross City (CTY), Florida with a planned fuel stop at Chilton County (02A), Alabama. Winds were so favorable that we continued non-stop landing CTY (~691nm) in 3hr 45min. Rarely saw the ground speed dip below 200kts; That was cool! :D Rosie

Speed_202.jpg

Speed_201_winds.jpg

OSH to Hastings Ne (HSI) 490nm/3.4

Fuel/food

HSI to SAF 480nm/3.3

Could have gone longer but I was in a 2 ship with a -6, and that extra 4 gallons makes a big difference. According to the GRT display I still had 1.4 hours endurance when I landed at HSI, and the gas pump confirmed it.

We were also soaked to the skin on departure from OSH - Made the first leg fun!

Bill Randolph's Round the World Adventure

Bill took off from Watsonville, California on March 9, 2005. I don't think he had any birthdays on the trip. You can read about his RTW flight here:
http://www.eaa119.org/node/24

I met Bill at OSH 2005. He is a great guy and an incredible resource for those crazy enough to think that they might follow his example one day.

Ely, NV to Lexington, NE

My longest leg was KELY (Ely, NV) to (KXN Lexington, NE), via Wendover, NV to clear restricted airspace SW of Salt Lake City. April or May, 2011.

740 nm, 4.6 hours, 39.5 gallons of 50 on board. The plan was to make it to DC in one long day, but weather caused me to shut down for the night about 2 hours out. Sometime this year, I hope to make that eastbound trip in one day.

Two legs

Our two longest nonstops were from Double Eagle KAEG by Albuquerque to Kennett MO, KTKX, 838 miles in January with a great tailwind and from Breakaway Airpark 40XS, by Austin, Tx to Dahlonega, Ga. 9A0' 741 miles.
Both stretched us physiologically!

3:31, 690sm direct flight plan.
Does not include a few scud run deviations along the way.
I never seem to get those great tailwinds on my long cross country flights.

Last edited:
Well, lets see,
I did KRYN, Tucson to KFNL Fort Collins, 580 miles and thought that was long but last fall I did KFNL to KEYQ Houston,780 miles in 4 hours and 40 minutes and I was still legal on fuel. I must confess, I was suckin O2 at 15500 and had it leaned out to burn just over 7 gph...and I might have had just a little tailwind.

69 nm, no extended range tanks or wheel pants, had 10 kt headwind, leaned to peak egt @ 55% power, had to stop to keep FAA happy and a potty break.

Just out of phase 1. I'll do better next time this question comes up.

Longest

3.5 hours in my RV8 with standerd tanks, 42gal.
Read Dougs safety report in Kit Planes rag... I do not cut it close, on fuel,,, ever,,, again
I agree with Doug, do not cut it close, land with an hour of fuel on board.

Last edited:
KLAM to T78 830 statute miles

Los Alamos to Liberty Texas with some IMC/IFR route deviations for weather. Air time 4.6 hours. Barbara & I had Ox most of the time and altitude was 13,000 much of the time. This was July 4, 2010 when the weather from the hurricane was in west Texas. No tail wind, but we avoided rain except for a few minutes and stayed in smooth air while we heard a number of planes diverting at lower altitudes in uncomfortable turbulence. Funny part was when we landed at Liberty for the great fuel price we found no bathrooms. Barbara was not happy with me, but she is very forgiving and a weak memory for the negative. Landed with VFR reserve in good weather. Last hour of flight in good VFR.
RV6a O-360 A1A, GRT Sport SX, dual EI, dual batttery & masters
Dale

Last edited:
565 NM-------3.8

565 NM-------4.2

That was solo. Don't like it but it is good if you have
a can handy and the CD player is jamming.