ao.frog

Well Known Member
We're almost done with the baffles now, and like on our first -7, we again where "baffled by the baffles".
I'm glad we have that behind us! :)

But I'm wondering what the two holes (on on each side) of the baffles are for?
I can't recall those where on the first bafflekit we installed.
That kit was bought from Vans in 2006 and had no holes like these I think?

Anyone know what these are for?
If nothing, guess we can rivet a cover over them?

They make it easy to pass a rachet extension through the baffles so you can easily get a socket on the spark plugs without having to distort the baffles or use a U-joint adapter.

If you got the baffle kit from Vans, you should have a couple of bolts with large washer to close them up. That way you can easily remove them to do the plugs. I seem to recall it being shown either on the plans or in the instructions, maybe some of the B&W photos

The screw and washer didn't completely seal the hole on my baffles and I used the screw,washer and locknut that the plans stated. I took some scrap and made some shims to seal the hole better. I made one piece fit inside the hole and made an oversize piece to fit inside the baffles to seal the hole completely.

Last edited:
I don't fly an rv but do have a lycoming engine and adapted vans O320 baffle kit for my O235. In regard to the access holes for the socket wrench I installed a small piece of .032 aluminum, wide enough to cover the hole and approx 1.5 times the height of the hole and I attached it with a pulled rivet at the bottom. It seals the hole and the single rivet acts as a hinge, so I can push it aside to slip the socket in. Works great.