IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
On each of the removable forward seat floors F940 and F-939, just aft of the cutouts for the control sticks there is a smaller rectangular cutouts. Around the cutout (but not too near) are 4 small punched holes that look like AD3 rivets could go there. Does anyone know what all this is for?

The cutouts don't show up in the plans on DWG 25 or DWG 30. I see on builders websites that the -7 has them also.

Thanks,

Those are for crotch straps

Dave,

Those are for crotch straps if you are going to use them with your harness. You will need to get the crotch strap mounting kit from Vans if you intend to have crotch straps. Least that whats I did.

Thanks Mike - I was not planning on crotch straps, since I'm not acro, but maybe I should? What do the straps mount to? Sure not to the cover? I assume I can put them on later? Love to see a pic...

UPDATE - look what I found on the mothership site... I guess all new fuselages have crotch straps as baseline:
If you are installing 5 point harnesses in an RV-7/7A or RV-9/9A, order installation kit: PN# CROTCH STRAP KIT. This kit is included in RV-7/9 fuselage kits shipped after December 2008.

Last edited:
and

Dave,

Also, if you purchase the Classic Aero seat kit (and possibly other brands), you don't have to make Vans stick boot cutout plates. The Classic stick boots cover the opening and attach with velcro.

I really liked flying the Skipper a local FBO had on lease back back in '93. I wondered what it could do with an o320 up front. I got a kick out of the non-functioning gear handle. Smart training tool.

Steve
N345SF

Dave,

Also, if you purchase the Classic Aero seat kit (and possibly other brands), you don't have to make Vans stick boot cutout plates. The Classic stick boots cover the opening and attach with velcro.

I really liked flying the Skipper a local FBO had on lease back back in '93. I wondered what it could do with an o320 up front. I got a kick out of the non-functioning gear handle. Smart training tool.

Steve
N345SF
Thanks Steve... I'm undecided on a crotch strap.. I'll likely just build on for now and worry about it later since I can add the kit easy enough I think.

OT below - hope it doesn't get moderated out:
Are you confusing a 2-seat Skipper with a 4-seat Sport? The Sports (also Musketeers, etc.) had the cool non-functioning gear handle (complete with green lights and horn!) but none in the Skipper.

The Skipper has a 115 HP O-235 and is pretty wimpy because it's so wide/comfy. Someone is trying to get a 337 approved for the 125 HP pistons, so I'm hopeful.

I like the crotch strap. In rough air it holds the seat belt in place. In rough air we tend to tighten the lap belt then the shoulder belts and that pulls the lap belt up and then there is room for your head to hit the can-o-pee. Using the crotch strap it holds the lap belt down and you don't need to tighten up so tight, more comfortable. IMHO

Using the crotch strap holds the lap belt down and you don't need to tighten up so tight, more comfortable. IMHO
This is the biggest advantage of the crotch strap. It is also very helpful to keep you from "submarineing" under the lap belt in case of an accident.

crotch question

OK - for your crotch experts out there (uh-oh).... Using the Van 5 pt strap, can the occupant decide to attach the crotch strap or not? In other words, if it isn't comfy for the wife, can she somehow not attach the upper end of the crotch strap to the lap belt?

Kind of like how on some C150s you can attach the shoulder belts to the lap belt, or not?

Hope my wording is clear...

It won't bother her, but if it does no you don't have to do it up. It slides on like the shoulder belts do. You don't have to do them up either.

OK - for your crotch experts out there (uh-oh).... Using the Van 5 pt strap, can the occupant decide to attach the crotch strap or not? In other words, if it isn't comfy for the wife, can she somehow not attach the upper end of the crotch strap to the lap belt?

Kind of like how on some C150s you can attach the shoulder belts to the lap belt, or not?

Hope my wording is clear...
I simply don't give my passengers an option. They either use it or don't ride.

Mel touched on the advantage of the crotch strap but let me expand on it.

Most people tighten the shoulder harness first, then the lap belt. This is wrong.

You want to tighten the crotch strap, then the lap belt and then the shoulder harness.

The key is to keep the lap belt from riding up, across the stomach. If it is up high and you have an accident, the belt press into the stomach cavity, damaging all of your internal organs. IF you survive the initial accident, you will probably die a few days later from internal injuries. Down low, the belt rides against your hip bones, protecting your stomach cavity.

In the driving schools I used to teach at, this was one of the first things we would teach and if a guy brought a street car with a point harness w/o a crotch strap (6 point 3" was mandatory), we would make them wear their stock belt over the harness or they couldn't run.

Thanks Mike - I was not planning on crotch straps, since I'm not acro, but maybe I should? What do the straps mount to? Sure not to the cover? I assume I can put them on later? Love to see a pic...

UPDATE - look what I found on the mothership site... I guess all new fuselages have crotch straps as baseline:
If you are installing 5 point harnesses in an RV-7/7A or RV-9/9A, order installation kit: PN# CROTCH STRAP KIT. This kit is included in RV-7/9 fuselage kits shipped after December 2008.

The crotch straps come with their own mounts and mounting hardware. I've got them ordered but I'm still undecided on the 5 point system. For the low cost of $32.00, I'll put the mounts in and then I won't have to worry about a difficult install later.

BTW - The cut outs show up on DRW 34 but there's no explanation as to what they are for.

Last edited: