Master Designs

Well Known Member
Garmin's website doesn't detail the different monthly/quarterly/yearly costs for the different subscriptions and updates available for the 696. I'm trying to determine what are the additional costs associated with keeping a 696 up to date.... weather, terrain, charts, safe taxi, etc....??

You might have to call someone that sells Garmin products.

For a data point, my GPS-396 Jep data is $50/mo and
the weather (lite) is $35/mo. A year ago the 396 Jep data
was $35/mo and the weather was $30/mo.
You can figure the percentage of increase.

Although I've used Garmin units for 20 years,
I'm ready to upgrade and and am forced to look at other
options for a panel mounted VFR GPS.

Tom

Thanks for the reply's. I found the generic pricing below, but Garmin requires you to plug in your devide so it can detect the updates you need before it can give you pricing. I was trying to find out what updates I would need before I purchase the 696, but they don't tell you. I guess it's a secret until after you spend $3,000. :eek:

Anyway, I guess a better question would be "What updates do you currently subscribe to?"

NavData
Single: $49.95 - $160.00
Subscription: $295.00 - $640.00
(13 issues per year)

Obstacle
Single: $49.95
Subscription: $195.00
(7 issues per year)

Terrain
Single: $150.00

SafeTaxi
(7 issues per year)

FliteCharts
Single: $95.00
Subscription: $395.00
(13 issues per year)

AOPA
(7 issues per year)

I do NavData a couple of times a year.

I'm not filing IFR flight plans, just fly the occasional practice approach, so once a year for Flite Charts. If I were doing real IFR flying, I keep Flite charts up to date.

I do Obstacles about once a year.

For a portable check out the new IFLY700. 7" screen and all sectionals and low enroute and approach plateds for all 3 three are only $89 a year. New out at airventure last month. Its the big rav! I just orded one. reviews are great. just google ifly700. Easy to use . pass it forward best deal for us in many years. Ron in Oregon

The company even emails you when a sectional is about to expire! You can't beat that

Limited Updates

Anyway, I guess a better question would be "What updates do you currently subscribe to?"

Since I use my 696 as my EFB, I want the Approach plates to work. after they are 180 days old, they won't display. But....I have a subscription to Air Charts, so I get their 28 day updater. So...I update the Approach Plates every 180 days, and use my Updater to make it legal. Terrain rarely moves, and I never had the AOPA data before. Obstacles change, but I get those updated for free in my GRT EFIS.

Anyway, that's how I have managed my 696 so far. Database prices are clearly the Achilles Heel of the Garmin line right now for many. too bad, as the products are top notch!

696 Approach Plates good after 180 days

Paul, Garmin released a new version of the 696 software earlier this year that did away with the 180 day limit on the Flite Charts. So you can keep using the old plates as long as you want.

Paul, Garmin released a new version of the 696 software earlier this year that did away with the 180 day limit on the Flite Charts. So you can keep using the old plates as long as you want.

Thanks Rick - I was pretty sure I had heard that was going to happen, but wasn't sure if it had been announced - it's a definite step in the right direction! Using my update scheme with teh Air charts subscription, that menas plates just once per year. (There are very few actual changes in a year, most that the average pilot doesn't care about.)

Paul

The major competitive disadvantage of the garmin panel is the high-cost proprietary subscriptions. It makes sense that they wouldn't emphasize it.

Many of the competitors have helpfully summarized the costs on their websites, when they are cheaper. I haven't seen any that are dishonest or inaccurate, although of course everybody emphasizes their advantages, and tends to minimize their weaknesses.

My uninformed guess is that fewer than 10% of the garmin portables get regular updates, and that the number would be much bigger if the cost were lower. I don't know where revenue would be maximized, but I'd guess that it would be at a significantly lower price in the experimental/handheld/LSA market.

Hopefully someone at garmin will at least try the experiment, maybe "recession" pricing that could be made permanent if there is a significant increase in revenue.

The major competitive disadvantage of the garmin panel is the high-cost proprietary subscriptions. It makes sense that they wouldn't emphasize it....

That is exactly what I found and why I started this post. It is all starting to make sense why they don't advertise their exact subscription rates for an particular model. Kinda scary buying a $3,000 device and not knowing what kind of monthly cost I'd be looking at to keep it VFR current as my EFB until I plug the thing into my computer.

That is exactly what I found and why I started this post. It is all starting to make sense why they don't advertise their exact subscription rates for an particular model. Kinda scary buying a $3,000 device and not knowing what kind of monthly cost I'd be looking at to keep it VFR current as my EFB until I plug the thing into my computer.

As to VFR, the only item I really care about, is the monthly XM weather subscription. I'm using the lite version. I buy current charts to keep up on airport info. A new unit comes with a 90 day update coupon, that will work far past the 90 day limit. There was nothing scary about buying my 696. I wanted it from the day I seen one, and wouldn't want any other hand-held to replace it.

L.Adamson ---- RV6A