snoopyflys

Well Known Member
As I wait for my emp kit to arrive and continuing my quest for knowledge on constructing my ship, I came across a posting that indicated drilling "lightening" holes. Is the purpose to reduce the weight without reducing the structural integrity? If so, are they a common construction practice of RV builders? Any advice, tips and suggestions regarding the use of lightening holes would be appreciated.

you are correct

lighteneing holes are exactly the way you describe them. The plans will tell you where to locate them. I think that the plans cover any structural locations so the only optional ones will be in brackets or additional components that are not part of the kit. By then you will have a good idea of what you can do.

As I wait for my emp kit to arrive and continuing my quest for knowledge on constructing my ship, I came across a posting that indicated drilling "lightening" holes. Is the purpose to reduce the weight without reducing the structural integrity? If so, are they a common construction practice of RV builders? Any advice, tips and suggestions regarding the use of lightening holes would be appreciated.

You got the purpose of lightening holes exactly right. They are to reduce weight and are common to all aircraft, not just RVs. You can add them wherever the plans indicate you can. There aren't many places left on the new kits though, the factory had done most of that for you.

Guy

"lightening" holes....reduce the integrity?

Nah. You have to remember that flying an RV can cause excessive adrenaline production. RV pilots actually report lightning emanating from their bodies as they feel the power and speed: the ultimate expression of "spirit", as otherwise quiet and humble men mingle with the gods. If you do not install holes in the airframe for the lightning to flow out, damage to avionics and electrical components may result - which, of course, angers the gods.

Actually Dan, you concluded correctly. Many of the lightening holes are already installed in today's kits and only need minor edge finishing. For the few holes you may cut, a very slow turning drill press and a fly cutter work well.

Chase Snodgrass
Presidio, TX
http://flybigbend.com

Last edited:
They improve strength

A properly done lightening hole actually helps distribute stresses better and thus both lightens and strengthens the structure. The holes in the ribs and spars are a good example.

that's when cumulous clouds form and than a zap of electricity goes to ground and puts a hole in your project because it's in the way. But really, the holes are for those that are energetic and have nothing better to do, spend a bunch of time and save a few ounces. They are an option, you don't need to do them. What you do is drill holes in pieces to lighten them.

For my use, 7A, 0360, constant speed prop, I did not drill the holes in the vertical. Why? I feel I'm going to need all the weight in the back I can get because the weight in the front. I left it alone and I think things will work out just fine.

Wow. Based on these responses I am either getting the idea about building or I am destined to upset the gods. Thanks for all the feedback.

Here's a couple of pics. After laying out your hole location. MAKE CERTAIN you have clamped everything down. Also get your drill press to the slowest possible speed. (wish I had access to a bridgeport)

fly cutter operation
RV7018.jpg

finished VS spar stiffener
RV7019-1.jpg

New Kits

The factory did all the holes in the vertical on my pre-punched 8 kit...so not as much fun with the fly cutter.:cool:

Mike

Right

Please keep believing that the factory specified locations are the only places to drill and shed weight. :D

The factory did all the holes in the vertical on my pre-punched 8 kit...so not as much fun with the fly cutter.:cool:

Mike

Same here on my 9A - and I'm NOT missing the flycutter experience just yet. I'm convinced those things were invented simply to sell more replacement parts.