myrv

I'm New Here
Ok, I have been lurking, and am seriously considering building an RV-7.

I am trying to see what I am missing.

I wanted to go quickbuild. But...

I want aerobatic capability, so I would need to modify the QB Wing to allow for flop tube.

I want capacitive fuel senders.

I would need fuel injection, return line, and inverted oil.

So, how much trouble am I going to have to modify the QB wings vs just going SB on the wings?

I understand the SB wings can be somewhat repetative, and that the SB Fuselage is more fabrication and changing work, but I don't really like fabrication.

What challenges am I going to have with the QB Fuse?

You only need all those systems if you really insist on doing sustained inverted stuff. For "gentleman's acro" like loops, rolls, cubans, split-Ss, etc. you don't need any of that stuff. The RV is great for doing light positive G stuff -- i.e. with 0G to 4G you can do a ton of fun stuff.

If you really, really want inverted systems, you can still install float senders in a QB wing tank, just install 'em in the 2nd bay instead of the first, where the flop tube would go. When you really get down to it, some people only equip ONE of their tanks for inverted, which would simplify things for you.

You only need a "return line" from the fuel injection system if you go with a system like Airflow Performance, or some other "constant flow" setup like I've seen on Subarus and what not. The AFP system uses a "purge valve" which needs to return fuel to one tank, or the selected tank, depending on how you plumb it. Adding another fitting to a QB tank is not a big deal imho.

I don't think you'd need to do any "mods" to a QB fuselage that you wouldn't have to do to a SB fuselage.

In other words, I don't personally think QB vs. SB makes much difference for aerobatic "mods". The only thing I can think of is that Van's calls out a few fuel tank rib mods ("trap door", closing off the big hole in the rib, etc.) for aerobatics. That might be tricky to do on a completed tank. But is it really necessary for light acro? I dunno, doubt it.

Give Van's a call and ask them what they think of all of this.