Votes: 6 4.1%
  • 14-17k (with o2)

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • 18k+ (with o2)

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

apkp777

Well Known Member
Hey all, I am curious what altitude everyone cruises at. I normally go for 8k-9k as I am finding myself with a bit of hypoxia above that. I am thinking I should buy a pulse oximeter to see if that's actually the case.

I have attached a simple poll. Recognize I realize most cruise altitudes are dependent on winds, airspace restrictions, MEA, weather, trip distance and oxygen availability. Just looking for your preference without regard to other factors.

I think ideally with my -9, I should be cruising at the 10-12K range for max performance. But is it worth the light headedness?

Last edited:
7500-9500' msl...........most of the time. AGL around here is over 4000' to start with. For economy in a 9, just pull the throttle back, and lean appropriately. A friend does that in his 9, all the time. I have the oxymeter and oxygen, but prefer not to use them as standard practice. I only go higher for mountains or weather. Without oxygen, I'll feel tired after a flight in the 12,000' levels.

L.Adamson

Above 10,000' MSL. Oxygen when appropriate. Home airport ~6800'

Above 10,000' other airplanes are scarce. Often this is above turbulence.

Going west I am usually above 12,000'.

Last edited:
I generally stay 8,500 to 9,500. Yeah, we're at 7,000 but more altitude won't help a lot here. I've been to 15,500 going over Yosimite - on Oxy but didn't really need it. My sats have adjusted to the elevation and I stay over 95 resting up to that altitude. But I think, if I were a lowlander, that I'd probably stay around 2000 AGL or less. I flew to OSH a couple of years back with a friend and we pretty much stayed high but I like sight-seeing and it wouldn't have made that much difference (that day's weather) in our time and fuel.

Starting at 5000 (field elevation), my preference for economy, safety, and visibility is higher if I am going any distance (more than an hour). I have an o2 system and that makes thing much more comfortable at altitude. So I typically fly between 13-15k and sometimes higher. Higher or lower if winds are a help/hindrance. Sometimes much lower if I want to do more specific sightseeing.

greg

What is the mission??

That is hard to answer, without including the distance/time in the answer.

For instance, breakfast jaunt of a half hour or so, I only go high enough to get into calm air------dont like the turbulance. 2500 or so is usually fine.

I went to Osh at 13.5---------different mission.

I'm often at 10-12k without O2. That said, I'm taking off from 6000' so I have a bit of acclimitization. If it's an longer flight or I think I will go higher I add the O2. I can occasionally fly lower, but there are rocks in all directions that top 10k here.

Home strip at 7200. We're ringed by mountains on 3 sides that go up to almost 14K. So valley flying under 10 is okay, but to go anywhere you have to do a chin up. Once you get there, might as well stay. As for hypoxia, I'm pretty goofy anyway, so I don't think anyone can tell.

Lots of factors

But for cross country, it all depends on what the weather and winds are doing, generally for flying East out of Portland I go up to 7500 or 9500, coming back West I will stay down low and take advantage of the winds. If it is bumpy, I go higher. Going over mountainous terrain, I go higher.

Randy

Where are the rocks?

With a 6,250 home field elevation, and a 25 mile MSA of 13,200, anything cross country from Ely, NV takes you to a minimum of 9,500, and usually 11K+. O2 always at 12K and above, and try to use it for any extended flight at night above 8K.
I moved here from the east coast where my oxygen bottle usually sat in the hangar. (And 6 to 9K was teh preferred enroute altitude band.) Now its installed on the right sidewall of the baggage compartment where its within (awkward) reach during flight. Oxsaver (?) cannula make the O2 last a long time, so refills are seldom.
Terrain alerting feature on the Garmin units (396 and 430) are very comforting, and help with a long distance "look ahead" on a trip.

As MikeS said, it is all about the mission. Long leg with favorable winds, up high. Short leg or ugly winds aloft, go low. Also consider the comfort factor, going to OSH one year my pal Lee issued the folowing clearance leaving a fuel stop, "Climb and maintain 70 degrees".

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

As Mike S notes, for local stuff of less than an hour, I'm around 2500 (+/-). When I go cross country, I pull winds aloft and use the best altitude. When there is not real difference, I'm up higher (10,5 and 11,5) to get our of the fray and to give me more safety options.

Interesting poll. If most are cruising at 8,000 - 9,000 tells me I want to cruise somewhere else! :eek:

;)

10-12. No O2. Go higher in the passes and have never need a bottle (this is not to say that I bust the FAA limits, I always try to stay legal). I'm a mountaineer so altitude doesn't give me any real problems as long as I'm hydrated/rested.

On trips, usually between 12,500 and 17,500 feet MSL. It depends on weather and terrain. Sometimes down to 8,500 or 9,500.

Just knocking around, 1,000 to 2,500 AGL.

Dave

Like picking your favorite child

Depends on the ground level, wind, clouds and no supplemental oxygen requirement.

Bob Axsom