Papa

Well Known Member
As I near completion of my RV-8, I've been casually looking at folding bikes. I saw an earlier thread on this, but between you and me, $1000 is a little steep for what I'm looking for. I found this bike on the web, and it looks like it's more my speed. I'm sure it's not nearly as nice as some of the others out there, but at this price it looks like a deal. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or experience with getting a bike (or two ideally) in an 8.

http://www.amazon.com/Kent-Ultra-Ma...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1195928722&sr=1-1

Papa

$1000 will get you a brompton bicycle. Despite being steel framed it is lighter than the bike you quote. http://www.foldabikes.com/PriceListHTML/pricelist.php . It is the folding bike all others are measured against. It folds small in a very short time and is very rideable. I use mine for a bike-train-bike commute and sometimes (if the wind is behind me and the weather nice) ride it the 18 miles home. Mind you if I have the urge to ride TO work I take my full-sized bike...

There are loads of very dodgy folding bikes out there. The Dahons are OK, but they don't fold as small, but ride well and are cheaper, the Bike Fridays are a fiddlier and larger fold, but are a beautiful (and more expensive) piece of kit.

A "folding bike buyers guide" is available here http://http://www.atob.org.uk/Buyers'_Guide.html

Dave

I found this bike on the web, and it looks like it's more my speed. I'm sure it's not nearly as nice as some of the others out there, but at this price it looks like a deal. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or experience with getting a bike (or two ideally) in an 8.
Papa

This bike is cheap enough that you could give it a try without risking much. You might be able to get two of them into your 8, you probably can't get two of the larger ones (Dahon, Bike Friday) in there. Dave Boxall's advice was good. I have two Dahon Mariners ($275 or so at the time) that I really like. They were the least expensive bikes of good quality I could find and they have held up well for years. I can fold and unfold them in less then 30 seconds. They have reasonable sized wheels so they ride nicely and are pretty light. The pair of them is about 50lbs with carrying cases (recommended) if I remember correctly. The Amazon bike you were looking at probably has very small wheels which can be a problem for rideability. When we fly out to small airports we find ourselves riding along rural roads with almost no shoulders a lot. Even with the moderate sized wheels on our Dahons it can be a challenge when there is traffic pushing you over on the soft shoulders. I also wouldn't want smaller wheels when going fast at all, you'll only do that once! Obviously you can brake when going down hills to keep your speed down. There is a certain clown bike appearance to the folders with little wheels but the utility may make them worth it. Take a look at the weight of any of the folders. Some of them are really heavy.
Good luck,
Dave
RV6

I just read some of the reviews of that bike. It doesn't sound all that good also in the pictures provided there is a single speed model and a ten speed model. Which one do you get? I'd rather get a Bike Friday. But David is right, it doesn't cost that much to check it out.

S&S couplings

Try this site. It is a company that manufactures couplings which can be installed on any bike. Cost is in the neighborhood of $300. Take a good $400 bike and modify it and you still have a normal bike. A friend is a bike nut and had these installed so he could take his expensive bike on trips without a bike box (fits in a suitcase). He reports that there is no difference in the frame since before modification.

http://www.sandsmachine.com/

Downtube bicycles

I spent a week looking at folding bicycles, all of them. Most of them over priced.
My wife and I purchased downtubes, all alluminum, weight about 24-26 pounds and can be folded into a large suitcase if you tear it down. We fly a RV6A but do not take the bikes with us. We keep them on our sailboat to ride during the summer months on the great lakes.

We are very pleased with these bicycles. They:) have great features at a good price. You can check them out at www.downtube.com

Chris
RV6A
N613LE

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I'll pass on the cheap one and keep my eye on some of the others. (the downtube bikes look pretty nice for the money.) I also think I'll look for something with the 20" wheels based on what's been said.

Papa

Considering the A-bike - forget it!

I wouldn't go anywhere near an A-bike. Before I rode one I thought it was going to be the ultimate RV accessory. Couple of weeks later (coincedentally) my Mum brought one back from Japan as a gift to my younger Brother. He lives about half a mile from my place. I got pretty excited when I saw it, unfolded it and attempted to ride it over to my house (after a couple of beers admittedly). It was straight out dangerous and my thighs were burning by the time I made it home. Even had to walk it up the (slight) hill that I pass on the way.

Take on speed and you are dancing with death.

Put your money towards something practical even if its twice the size!!!

Dahon Jack?

I was looking at the Dahon Jack http://www.dahon.com/us/jack.htm, but didn't know if this would fit into the back of an RV-9A. It would be nice to have the larger (26" wheels).

Has anyone tried to fit a 26" wheel folding bike into their RV?

Thanks,

Bump-Folding bikes-RV8??

So any RV8 folks stuffed any of these in? Better yet anyone managed to get a pair in somehow??

Now if only Honda would build a Transformer gadget that would start as an RV8 rear compartment friendly case and morph into an XR650 or somesuch......

I also second the Downtube. Purchased it last summer. Easily folds and fits in the luggage or on the rear seat of the Cardinal. Good quality, reasonable price-way less than $1000 for all aluminium frame 26 pound bike.

http://www.downtube.com/Front_Suspension_Folding_Bicycle.html

9Silver_Standing.jpg

Strida

I was at a bike shop today and saw an interesting folding bike - the Strida www.strida.com it folds up really cool, but makes kind of a long package so I'm not sure if it would fit in a modified -8 or a side-by-side. The guy in the store demonstrated the folding features and it was very clever. The designer did the bike as his Oxford engineering thesis. He did admit that it takes a couple of minutes to acclimate to the handling. Uses a kevlar belt which adds cool points for me. Comes in a bunch of different colors. Kinda pricey at $800 in my opinion, but cheaper than a Bike Friday.

Here's the specs:

Bike Weight: 10 kgs
Frame: 7000 Series Aluminum
Drive Train:Kevlar Greaseless Belt Drive (up to 50,000 miles)
Wheels: Alloy 16" Rim
Brakes: Disc Brakes
Speeds: Single Speed
Folded Size: 45" x 20" x 9"(114cm x 51cm x 23cm)
Grip: Gel
Bottom Bracket: Welded
Luggage Rack: Plastic or Alloy new option
Weight Limit: 100 kgs
Height Limit: 153cm ? 193cm

light%20green-01-b.jpg

light%20green-02-b.jpg