Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Take a look at the wind vector (lower right corner of the PFD) I got on today's flight! 71 knots out of about 300!

fl2103jr.jpg

Oh yeah, you get winds like that at altitude! :D

She was still climbing 500 fpm at 17.5K, so I called up Center, got a clearance, and headed on up. I leveled at FL210 becasue I started getting nervous about Mags arc-tracking and such...nothing was going wrong, but it is easy to imagine! These altitudes are fun, but totally impractical - unless you can put that wind on the tail! I also didn't have the courage to lean it any more than I had it - the mixture lever was almost on the idle-cut-off stop! I don't believe the fuel flow number - I had the pump on to make sure of good fuel pressure, and that always makes my FF read high. She was still climbing steadily at 350 fpm when I leveled off at 210, but I'm not intending to try for anything higher!

(Before anyone complains about the lines in the GRT displays, those aren't there when you see it - they are an artifact of reducing the digital picture.)

Of course, Nasal Canulas are only good up to 18,000, so I had to wear the real stuff...

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Oat

I was looking at your images before I read the text, and I was very confused. First thing I noticed was that your fuel pump was on, so I thought you were near the ground. Also, your GS was rather slow. Then, the numbers on the altitude tape kind of threw me for a loop! Very neat, Paul! What was your OAT? What does the 40H and 59R under the wind vector mean? Thanks!

Paul,

How did you plumb your O2 system into the military mask/hose connector?

Dave

Mickey - that's 40 Headwind, 59 Right Croswind. I didn't look at the OAT - after displaying it all the time on the PFD during my flight test period, I decided that I'd rather look at Fuel Flows most of the time, so I used the display slot for that. Since TAS is automatically computed all the time on the EFIS, I realized it wasn't important enough to check all the time. I suppose I could back it out of the TAS, IAS, and Altitude if I could find my E6-B.... :rolleyes:

Dave - I have a rig put together by some friendly life support system tech's - basically a hose-mounted demand reg and a primary reg on my portable bottle. I only take all that stuff along if I'm planning on going high - it takes awhile to configure the cockpit for it, and really isn't all that practical.

And Bruce Bohannon? The man is incredible! I mean, heck, I wasn't even HALF as high as he goes in that RV-4!!!! :eek:

Paul

Sweeeeeeet :)

Man, that is so cool. :cool:
Its posts like this that get me tingling and itching to build. Had a call to say my wing kit had landed in Auckland over the weekend so hopefully it'll be in my garage within the next few days...:)

Shuttle chase...

So, Paul.

Obviously you're in training with your RV-8 to act as the mid-levels shuttle launch camera ship.

You'll need a GIB.

I volunteer :D

b,
d

ps: seriously, cool shots

I wish!

DeltaRomeo said:
Obviously you're in training with your RV-8 to act as the mid-levels shuttle launch camera ship.

You'll need a GIB.

I volunteer :D

If you find a good ride, don't tell me about it....I'll be in a windowless room in Houston (but I've got a pretty good seat...)

Hope you got over your cold and got some flying in Doug!

Paul

I was wonderign if anyone woudl catch that... :eek: :rolleyes:

That's the kind of thing that hapens when you don't have someone else in the cockpit (or on your wing) to back you up...the worst thign is that I DID remember to reset the altimeter going through 180...I just had a brain fart and set it to the wrong value! It's hell getting old....

Paul

Ironflight said:
And Bruce Bohannon? The man is incredible! I mean, heck, I wasn't even HALF as high as he goes in that RV-4!!!! :eek:

Paul
That's not a RV-4, it's a Rocket! :D

Well actually, it's neither. The fuselage is a stretched and modified single-seat RV-4 fuselage. The wings were special built by Mark Frederick at Team Rocket and I "think" it has a Rocket empennage, or control surfaces on it. Other than that, it is a highly specialized machine.

Last edited:
Too cold

I once had my buddy's RV4 at FL210. The plane didn't want to climb anymore (150hp, cruise prop). The main problem was the cold, 06F OAT. The mask froze from the moisture exhaled and there was apparently condensation inside the steam guages as they frosted over from the inside rendering them barely useable. I agree that these altitudes are for entertainment value mostly.

rd

Why, hell, I've got the RV GRIN right here in my chair in front of my computer after seeing that photo (SERIOUSLY!!)! I, too, will have the GRT EFIS (someday).

...Still 350fpm at FL210 on 180 hp & blended airfoil -- AWESOME!

Man, do I want to get this thing done!

Anyone have more photos as exciting as this :eek:

Don Gray, EAA Tech Coun
RV-7A UC
N17QB
Cortland, OH

No2

With a MAP indication like that Paul you need a turbocharger! Either that or Nitrous injection.

Almost got that high doing a topping check on a test flight in an AS350B2 helicopter one day - without Oxygen and still wearing summer clothes. It's a bloody long way to fall and I couldn't help thinking about the Main Rotor Head Bolts. Funny how the mind wanders.

Glad to see someone is having fun.

Cheers,

Mike EVANS
Still building.
Noo Zeelind

like old times

paul, just got back to the computer after a few days and saw the picture of you in helmut and mask. Reminds me of the days when i was a flight surgeon for the 147 fig at ellington. got to ride the "b" model of the f-16 . boy do i miss it! You ever get close to sugar land and want to fill that spare seat give me a call. Anyway thanks for bringing back the memories and i'm sorry i turned in my equipment when i left.
dennis giammarco, rv7 empennage sloooooo build