prkaye

Well Known Member
Anybody here wet-test their tanks? Is there any reason why I shouldn't fill my tank with auto gas, if the auto gas contains ethanol? I would fill the tank, check the sender resistance, wait a couple of days for leaks. Then drain out half, check the resistance again. Then completely drain. Then store my tanks for a long time (until assembly).
Would the traces of auto gas containing ethanol cause a problem during storage? Or would it all evaporate and be fine?

Hi Phil

Why not just do the air test instead? I got some aluminum tape from the aviation section at Home Dumpo, and a tank testing kit from Van's and away I went. (I can loan you my kit).

This method is a whole lot cleaner and safer that using gas.

My $0.02

I'm going to do the air test first. I thought if I did the wet test it would allow me to verify that the sender is working properly through its range. Perhaps this is overkill testing though.

Not only is it safer, but air has a lower viscosity then gas. If your tank doesn't leak any air, then no way gas will leak (unless the ethanol eats through the proseal!).