RidiculousM

Well Known Member
I'm working on my RV8 Showplanes canopy interior. I have the bulkheads, stringers bonded in place and glass strip reinforcements in. Now I'm using West system 410 for filling in and fading the glass strips, corners etc. My question is what to do next? I have PPG epoxy primer and PPG K36 primer so I can apply one or both? Then Jet Flex Gray paint as final coating. Do I need to apply epoxy over the dried 410 before primer? Help in your thoughts on the order in which to do this.

Thanks
Mike

The order is (1) close pinholes and seal the surface, (2) epoxy primer, (3) K36 as desired.

Your choices for (1) range from an epoxy skim to drywall mud :rolleyes:

Per the PPG rep, the DPLF epoxy primer is a tie coat between the surface and the K36. Spray K36 over the epoxy primer "wet on wet", with just enough time between for a solvent flash.

New here? Do some reading, Go to the "Fiberglass" section of the forums. Click the word "Views" at the top of the right hand column, then read the popular threads.

Dan- Thanks for the info very helpful. I had been searching for info on the subject in this section of the forums not the Fiberglass section! Big Duh on my part :eek:

Mike

primer

Dan, PPG products aren't readily available near me, so I've used Nason epoxy primer. Is the K36 an etching primer and, why is it needed over top of the epoxy? High build?
Thx, Rick
Southampton, Ont

Dan, PPG products aren't readily available near me, so I've used Nason epoxy primer. Is the K36 an etching primer and, why is it needed over top of the epoxy? High build? Thx, Rick #40956 Southampton, Ont

Rick, I've always said go with the paint line best represented in your local area. Advice and service are important, and chances are the local body shops have already indicated the best paint supplier in your market by spending their money there. In my town it's PPG. Might be another major in your town.

PPG K36 and K38 are urethane primer-surfacers. Think of them as a urethane base paint with a lot of talc, ground limestone, titanium dioxide, and other bulk material mixed in, in order to make something like a very thin spray-on body filler. You block sand them to remove every last trace of ripple and wave in the surface before you shoot the color and (if desired) clearcoat.

I've certainly not tried them all, but I imagine every paint line includes something similar.