cjensen

Well Known Member
i bought the west systems fiberglass stuff about a month and a half ago with the intent to completing the emp 'glass over the winter months. now, with all the fiberglass trimmed and ready for filler, i've decided to wait. don't know how long, maybe over the summer, mayber when the wings are done and ready for their tips.

none of it has been opened, and is still in the box. does this stuff expire??

west systems epoxy

I used mine over one year after buying it with no problems. Planning on using more this winter. If in doubt, mix up a small batch and try it on a few scraps. If it cures nicely and seems strong, it is probably ok.

cjensen said:
i bought the west systems fiberglass stuff about a month and a half ago with the intent to completing the emp 'glass over the winter months. now, with all the fiberglass trimmed and ready for filler, i've decided to wait. don't know how long, maybe over the summer, mayber when the wings are done and ready for their tips.

none of it has been opened, and is still in the box. does this stuff expire??

You're gonna like the answer to this one...the shelf life is years and years especially if it's unopened. I'm not sure how many years, but I've never heard of someone having to throw their's out because it went bad. If you open the stuff and stick the pumps in like I do, and then store it like that, the shelf life is somewhat reduced in that it may thicken up a bit (i.e. it won't wet out the cloth as well as stuff that's not 5 years old) but chemically it'll still harden just fine.

Keep it sealed at room temperature and you'll have absolutely no problems when you're ready to glass.

West says it will last a long long time... it may change color slightly, but they say it won't affect performance.

Give it a few weeks.... you'll be so sick of deburring wing ribs you'll be begging to do the fiberglass! ;)

thanks guys.

brad, you're probably right. after reading through your deburring fun, i'm sure i'll feel the same way, and fiberglass may be just the ticket at that point!

HA! I gotcha ALL BEAT!!!

I have some unopened stuff on the shelf from a project I never did on my boat from 3 years ago!!!

I will letcha know when I get the nerve to play with some plastic!

:p CJ

Shelf Life

There is really no issue with shelf life. I keep mine in my hangar all year round and from May to Sept it will be close to or over 100. The only thing you might notice is the hardener will turn brown like molasses. As someone noted it does not affect the performance. I actually like it like that because it is easier to see.

If practical, refrigerate and you'll prolong the life until the courage is gained to deal with the fiberglass!!!! :eek:

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ
RV-7 N717EE