Steve Ashby

Well Known Member
Sponsor
My buddy John Morgan flew me down to Peachtree City, GA this week so that I could replenish my resin and hardner supply at ACS. when I got home, I realized I purchased the fast hardner instead of the slow hardner I have been using. Will that be workable, or should I go back and swap it out for the slow? I am just about finished with the canopy skirt and I will have to do the wheel pants, intersection fairings and wing tips later.

I prefer it

I have started with the slow , and now using the fast. I would buy the fast one again.

The only time I use slow is when it's very hot in the hangar (100F) and I want a pot life of longer than 5 minutes:D

Hi Steve,

I have yet to work on a project that required the 'fast' hardner. I use the 'slow' hardner exclusively and have used this on many many airplane (and other) projects. This gives me plenty of working time regardless of the ambient temperature. If I get a phone call or other distraction I'm never concerned about my epoxy. I have used the fast hardner in the past.....this is why I only use the slow.

In short there is absolutely no reason that the fast hardner will not work for you....just set up your task so it will be done in accordance of the working time for you hardner. If you are doing a bigger job like a windscreen lay up then just mix smaller amounts.

Have fun Steve!

My buddy John Morgan flew me down to Peachtree City, GA this week so that I could replenish my resin and hardner supply at ACS. when I got home, I realized I purchased the fast hardner instead of the slow hardner I have been using. Will that be workable, or should I go back and swap it out for the slow? I am just about finished with the canopy skirt and I will have to do the wheel pants, intersection fairings and wing tips later.

I use both - depending on what I am doing. If I am filling pinholes or covering tape, I use the fast. Same with setting anything I need to clamp. If I am laying up several layers, I use the slow. I can't imagine using slow smoothing the inside of the cowl or even the outside pinholes. Just don't mix up more than you can use. What is great with West systems - and probably the others is you get a choice.

I use both ...

Similar to Rockwood, I use fast hardener on small jobs and most flox applications; while using the slow stuff on larger jobs that will take more time. I like 'em both; can't imagine not having the choice on each task/project.

Thank you for all of the info guys!

This is just what I needed. I will use the fast hardner, but will probably pick up some slow hardner when I get to the windshield layout (which requires more time). You guys are the best!

First time I used fast, I mixed up a small amount in a red solo cup. Turned around for 2 seconds and when I went back the cup had melted down into a little ball. That stuff goes off fast and releases a lot of heat if you're not constantly stirring! I switched to paper picnic bowls after that for mixing. :D

In the winter

In the colder weather you should be ok for small jobs. Like you said when you get to bigger jobs you need more time.