wastintime

Hey everyone. I figured this was as good a place and time as any for a first post. I've been searching through a lot of threads and getting some information on RV building. I finally have something to post! I couldn't believe my luck when I realized that Van's east coast rep was only about 1.5 hours away from where I live. Mitch was kind of enough to spend some time with me today discussing RV kits and looking at the RV-12 and 10. We went for a flight in the RV-10. I'm actually ordering and building an RV-8A, but it was still nice to get a chance to fly an RV, poke around the aircraft, and ask a bunch of questions.

It was pretty obvious after the demo flight that I would be ordering at least the first few kit components next month. Which is really neat to me that it's actually happening. Building a kit plane has been a dream/goal of mine for about the last 10 years. I almost ordered a kit plane in 2003 with my father, who unfortunately died that June and he was really my window to the world of aviation. He was a pilot in the Air Force, flew for Delta, and the first plane I ever flew was his S-35 Bonanza. He was a really cool guy and I wish I'd gotten to build one with him, but this is probably a pretty good tribute.

Having built a few tube frame monocoque race cars I'm hoping the RV construction will at least feel somewhat familiar and shouldn't be too big of a headache for me. Lol, anyway, so begins my RV adventure. Thanks in advance for all of the tips and advice I'm sure you guys will end up giving me, and hopefully I'll end up contributing a bit, myself.

Andy

As a fabricator already, you won't struggle. Just remember the build is part of the fun...enjoy it. If it feels like work, you're doing it wrong!

Welcome to Van's Air Force.

Welcome to the 8A club!

You made a great choice. More 8As are popping up at each Airventure and it is great to see new builders. Enjoy the building process. Feel free to call or email for any questions/commiseration.

Nice!!!!

Welcome to VAF. Mike S must washing his welcome apron again:eek:

With your background you're ahead of the game. My only recommendation is to be cautious not to over analyze the project:) It is a long project and you'll drive yourself nuts if you do.

Good luck and welcome to a great place!!!!

My only recommendation is to be cautious not to over analyze the project:) It is a long project and you'll drive yourself nuts if you do.

Thanks for the welcomes, guys! See, I'm already getting good advice, and I agree 100%. Stop thinking, just get to building, and everything will fall into place.