gfree

I'm New Here
And it looks like I'll be building an RV-7!

A couple weekends ago I met with RV6Rick down in Parkersburg to check out his planes. I ended up getting a flight in one of his bud's RV6's. Wow, that was an experience! I got to take the controls for a little bit, and the co-owner even let me do a stall. I got the bug, seriously, after that.

The next day I went and ordered the preview plans and the practice set. Today I started work on clearing my workspace (a 1 car garage sized workshop, this'll be interesting to say the least!) and I ordered the Cleaveland total airframe kit. Empennage to be ordered when I get my tax return check. This weekend I'm planning on building an EAA workbench.

I find myself drueling over the practice kit, even though it's only part of an aileron, and wanting to start test-fitting everything. But I can't even deburr the edges so I'll have to wait until my tools come in. For extra motivation I unpacked the 4 RC airplanes I have (3 of them have flown, the last one I stopped construction on when I realized I could build a real plane) so I could have airplane decoration in my house as a constant reminder. I want to make sure I take my time to do everything right, as I got a few great looks at Rick's workmanship down in Parkersburg. His Rocket was immaculate. I also got a good look at what bad workmanship looks like on an RV-4 (I think) that had shipping damage that Rick had acquired.

Now I'm itching to get my hands on a scotchbrite disk and a rivet gun/bucking bar to start putting together the practice kit. I've also been watching some Red Bull race videos. It's going to take constant motivation to get through this multi-year project, and a lot of reigning in my expenses to make sure I can get my PPL and also continue to fly.

I'm 90% sure I'll get the tailwheel version, and I'm waffling on the tip up vs. slider canopy. The 6 I flew in had a tip-up and I loved the unobstructed view. But, there's something sexy about a slider, and also maybe the potential for a slider to be easier to bail from in the case of extreme circumstances. I'd love to make my plane capable of inverted flight, but I think I'll stick with the basic airframe and engine first (but get an IFR or close to IFR panel) and modify as I go along, for instance, to get the engine set up for inverted flight. It was so easy to set up for RC airplanes, but these big ones take lots of money and thought to make it work. That, and I as a pilot need the necessary training...

But I'm excited! Flying in someone else's plane that I knew they built by hand was enough to leave me grinning loudly the rest of the day. I can't imagine what'll be like to leave the ground in something I built myself.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Greg, welcome aboard:D

Tail draggin 7.......you are going to have a ball.

Phrasing needs work

Gfree,

We call this "making an informed decision". "Caving to internal pressure" is what occurs when you finally take a day off from working on your project to attend an event with the spousal unit or knock off a couple of the honeydo list items (but not too many or you'll spoil her/him). :D

Multi-year project

Greg,

Don't think of it as a "multi-year" project. Just think of it as a couple of seasons of Dancing with the Stars, Survivor, Amazing Race, Who wants to be a Millionaire, CSI, and 24.

All you have to do to finish one of these great planes is to give up a couple of seasons of couch potato time, and trade the DISH subscription for tools, parts, and flying time!

Amen on nixing the TV!

I had nothing but a roof antenna when I started the -7A. When a windstorm took the antenna down, I didn't bother fixing it because of the distraction keeping me from putting in some time in the garage (er, airplane factory) every evening. The bird's been flying for a year and a half now, and the only thing feeding my TV is a DVD/VHS player. Don't miss it at all, and when I'm at a friends place and see the drivel that constitutes programming these days, I think about all those hundreds (thousands?) of hours I'll never get back.

I haven't had a TV for years, and don't plan on getting one. I think the biggest timesink will be the internet and chasing skirt. I'm willing to cut down on the internet ;-)

wait until you see how much time you spend here on VAF

My bet is your internet usage will go up, between VAF and lots of builder sites.

It will be the skirt chasing that will suffer.;)

I haven't had a TV for years, and don't plan on getting one. I think the biggest timesink will be the internet and chasing skirt. I'm willing to cut down on the internet ;-)

Sounds like you have the makings of a true RVer. Welcome! :)

So I got my shop halfway set up (meaning I built only 1 of the EAA workbenches), bought an air compressor, etc. and got to work on the practice airfoil.

I think I screwed up just about every round-headed rivet in the kit. I got to drill out a few and replace them.

However, I got nearly all of the flush rivets set well according to the gauge, except for one when I let the rivet gun wander and got a little dent.

I'm not 100% impressed with my work, so I got the toolbox kit and another airfoil to practice on in case I need it. I'd rather destroy a $30 kit than a piece of a real airplane.

I'm planning on ordering the empennage tonight. Electric trim.

Doing a slow build -7 so I could save money for the engine, problem, I'm building faster than I can save.
Rick Maury
RV-7 SB

So So right

I had nothing but a roof antenna when I started the -7A. When a windstorm took the antenna down, I didn't bother fixing it because of the distraction

I bought a cheapy notebook pc for the workbench, connected the audio out to a pair of decent speakers. Then logged into, "This American Life", Phil Hendrie Show" and a couple of others with streaming files. Turned out I looked forward to listening to these programs more than any of the stupid stuff on TV and the build was way less interrupted. I also listened to a few books on tape (now dvd) while I built. RV-7 slider, standard wings, quick fuse, one year + one month. 115 TT.

One of the best things you can do to help yourself out early on, is to join a local chapter of the EAA, if you haven't already, and make some connections with experienced builders. Not only is this highly motivating, but someone can help you with those rivets, and help you avoid some BIG mistakes. There's nothing like a technical counselor to come and look over your shoulder and check out your work once in a while.

And speaking of chasing skirt... I actually wrote a page about my mistress... you can read it if you like, right here:

My Mistress

By the way, I've built all the way through my fuselage with only one of those EAA tables, but I also have a smaller workbench and some countertop space as well. If you have limited space, you should be fine with the one you have.

I bought a cheapy notebook pc for the workbench, connected the audio out to a pair of decent speakers. Then logged into, "This American Life", Phil Hendrie Show" and a couple of others with streaming files. Turned out I looked forward to listening to these programs more than any of the stupid stuff on TV and the build was way less interrupted. I also listened to a few books on tape (now dvd) while I built. RV-7 slider, standard wings, quick fuse, one year + one month. 115 TT.

I love the IPOD dock that I have. I've been so in the zone when working in the shop though I only notice it if I'm deburring/dimpling/squeezing and have my earplugs out, or a really good song is playing.

The toolbox kit came in the mail today. I got to work and am part way through mounting the hinge. My riveting is a lot better, but I have yet to get to the dreaded round-heads. I only had to drill out one rivet, and it was a non-event. I drilled through it with a smaller bit, opened up the head a little bit with the hole size, then used the punch to pry out the head. No damage. Best drilled-out rivet yet.

Oh, and duct tape! I cannot believe I didn't use this before on my bucking bars. I haven't caused any damage thanks to that. No bouncing scratches on corners anymore. I don't understand how/why people go without the duct-tape wrap!

My tail kit should come in soon, I'm super excited!

Oh, I wanted to add that I love the Cleaveland Main Squeeze. I was considering the pneumatic, but I'm glad I saved the money. The only problem I had was one of the rivets I squeezed last weekend backed out a bit and I had to drill it out. I'm pretty sure I know how to prevent that now.

Last edited:
Emp kit is here! I'm all inventoried. Now all I have to do is move stuff around in the shop, read the directions a few time, and get to building :).