GLPalinkas

Well Known Member
Hi folks, I have been searching high and low for welding wire (#2) for battery/contactor/starter wiring. I have installed the #2 that came with Van's kit but I am not happy with how much stress it looks like it will put on the contactor, etc. (yes, the connectors are clocked correctly)

Most of the local welding supply shops only sell it in 50' lengths (big $$). Where have others gound 8-10 feet of #2 welding wire at a reasonable price.

Thanks,

Gary

RV-6 LB (Long build)/QB
FWF 90% done 90% to go.....what 51 % rule.

Farm supply

GLPalinkas said:
Where have others gound 8-10 feet of #2 welding wire at a reasonable price.

Gary,
Some farm supply stores, such as Atwoods, and Tractor supply may sell it by the foot. I'm surprised that the welding supply store wouldn't sell you a short piece, though. The ones around here used to.

I needed some a while back for a 3 kilowatt inverter I installed in my truck, finally ended up going to WalMart and buying a set of #2-wire jumper cables, cutting and crimping the wire for my own use. It was by far the cheapest source of 24 feet of insulated #2 I could find, I think I paid $18.

ASK FOR CABLE!!

GLPalinkas said:
Hi folks, I have been searching high and low for welding wire (#2) for battery/contactor/starter wiring. I have installed the #2 that came with Van's kit but I am not happy with how much stress it looks like it will put on the contactor, etc. (yes, the connectors are clocked correctly)

Most of the local welding supply shops only sell it in 50' lengths (big $$). Where have others gound 8-10 feet of #2 welding wire at a reasonable price.

Thanks,

Gary

RV-6 LB (Long build)/QB
FWF 90% done 90% to go.....what 51 % rule.
Call and ask for welding cable. It is sold by the foot. If all they want to do is sell you a spool, then you are looking in the wrong place!

Welding cable is the best for the starter and a ground to motor case. If you stack the master and starter sol. then use a copper bar to connect.

A good source for the copper is a 2" copper pipe coupling. Slice it and then lay it out flat... pound it with a soft mallet till it is flat. Then cut a strip that you will need to connect the master to the starter sol.

My -4 with 200 HP angle valve has been using #4 for the past 24 years, cranks very well and the last battery is still in fair condition after 7 years. I did some modifying to the starting system last year and looked at the #2 and thought no way, way over kill and to heavy, stayed with #4.

Russ

welding wire supplier

SteinAir sells welding cable per foot with no minimum. See SteinAir.com or call them at 1-877-282-8996. Shipping is only actual cost also.

Dick DeCramer
N500DD flying
RV8 wing in works
Northfield, MN

Thanks for the info

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will try a local supplier again. I have ordered from SteinAir before (several orders, quick shipments, great stuff) but I have not been able to find the welding wire listed anywhere. Maybe I will just give them a call.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Stein has a lot of stuff, particularly wire, that does not show up on their website. I guess business is so good they don't have time to update it. Give them a call and ask. They may have it.

When I bought my welding cable at a local welding shop, they sold it by the foot from big spools. However, the numbering scheme is not the same. I brought a piece of #2 Tefzel with me. IIRC, the matching welding cable was #4.

B&C will make it to your spec... you just have to figure out the desired length and what size terminals on each end..

Gary,
Call me. I've got a whole spool and since your hangar is behind mine, shipping should be quite reasonable. :)

My son's eye-ballin' it for his car audio amp, so let me know soon.

BTW, I also have extra lugs and access to a big-a$$ crimper.

Mike
cell = three five six one three one eight.

Tractor Supply

Well, once again I jumped the gun and bought the welding cable I was asking about. Found it at Tractor Supply (bought it only because when I called the guy said it was $1 something a foot....I thought great deal.....not....ended up $3.88/ft for #2).

Of course, then I get home and read Mike's post about having a whole roll and I can walk over to his hangar and get it.

Anyway, for those of you who don't live near Mike <g> you can get it at Tractor Supply Stores ( mytscstore.com)

I should have known better....