pilotian

Well Known Member
Hey guys,

After to straight years of going to Oshkosh I have quickly fallen in love with RV's. After looking at their price tag for construction it looks like over time it can be an affordable hobby.

Has anyone known of young builders getting into the RV's at my age? Or am I crazy to want to save a little and start by building an empanage and than saving again and building the fuselage etc...

Itd be a great experience and heck I spent 1600+ on a camera lens for Oshkosh when i looks like I could of bought an RV-8 empanage for that much. Its crazy!

Ian

I'm sure someone that has actually built an RV will chime in, but I've wanted to build an RV since before I was your age and now I'm more than 10 years your senior, and I still don't know if I can justify affording it.

Its a lot more than the cost of the tail kit! You have tools, (the other kits), engine, avionics, insurance, hanger fees and lets not forget the price of fuel, the potential aviation user fees and the list goes on.

I certainly hope you pursue your dream, but go into it knowing what it will really cost you. At 18, I doubt there will be much money left if you are looking to buy a house, raise a family, go out on the weekend etc... if you decide to build.

There have been cases of young builders though.

Good luck, but let the "wow" factor of Oshkosh wear off and look at the real numbers.

Depends...

First, welcome to VAF!

There are several young builders out there. However, I would say it really depends on what is in store for your immediate future. Are you going to college? Going to be close to your kit? Have other builders based around you?

I was lucky enough to stumble upon a -3 empanage that was being given up on VAF. I was 18 at the time and chomping at the bit to drive rivets and build, so I jumped on it. It turned into great support from other VAF members, and I soon had a -3 tail kit in hand. I had dreams of finishing that tail immediately, but still had to gather tools, space, knoweldge, etc. Something everybody needs when starting a project.

But, I wasn't able to get tools I needed right away. My dad and I put together a room in a barn on our farm, and I moved the project into there. Finally many months later I was able and willing to cough up the dough for a tool kit, and I started playing. I had a pretty good set up to get building at home, but by then I was in college, 3 hours away from my project. It was hard to work on the tail when I was away from it for 1-2 months at a time. I spent time with the kit on an occasional weekend home, but spent more time studying the plans, looking things over, playing with some tools, maybe get a piece cut (you have to do much more with the -3). But it was difficult to get back to it later and see where you left off, and very time consuming to figure out after being away for so long. It was an example of life getting in the way, I wasn't going to have the money for the next kit till I had a job after college anyways, so I wasn't in any rush. But, I was learning, and that was my biggest goal.

I'm now 22, just graduated college, getting a job, and moving into the 'real world'. I'll be soon moving to a new place, and you can bet that my -3 tail and tools will be with me :D ! I will now be able to take my project with me and have it right there to work on. Plus, with an actual income now, I'll be able to save and purchase a fuse or set of wings when it comes time (hopefully before my girlfriend takes all my money *cough*) .

I don't discourage you at all from starting on a tail. It is a great learning experience. But in hindsight, you can get experience by finding a local builder and becoming a 'shop assistant' in your free time. I would recommend doing that instead to start out. Then when you have the means, location, and time, you can take on your own project. You will hit more roadblocks like I did if you don't have those things. But in time you will. Be patient, it will pay off, don't lose sight of your dream.

Last edited:
I have wantend to build a plane for as long as I can remember. I am 21 and just about to start my senior yerar in college. I am hoping to start building in 1.5-2 years. In the mean time I am slowley learning what it takes to to build a plane and saving up. Best of luck.

Building an RV is a big commitment and will take a lot of time and *money*. Since you are 18 and hopefully going to college, I would not tie yourself to a project as you will want to take advantage of any opportunities that may arise - possibly in other countries, even if only for a limited time.

If you have *money*, spend it on flying today.

If you build instead, you will have spent a lotlot of money (think 4yr college tuition++ range) and *may* be able to start flying in 5-6 years. You can get into an RV later after you've settled down some.

I love the fact that you can pay as you go building airplanes. I started with ultralights, I'd buy an old ultralight and "restore"' it. I'd fly it for a while then sell it for a profit. Economy is down right now so things have changed. I am now 27 years old and have RV8 wings, tail, and fuselage 90% done. I'm starting on the canopy this weekend. The best part is I was fortunate enough to get this much done debt free. I didn't go to college and I went to a home school program for 3 years to get my high school deploma. I'm now married and a home owner building the fuselage in our spare bedroom. My goal now is to purchase an engine before we have kids!!!! I say give it a try and if it's not for you than just sell the kit.

I'm 16 y/o and soloed on the 25th (i still haven't landed yet ;)! I, like you, have dreams of building an rv because the community, camaraderie, performance, value and general awesomeness can't be beat (imho). It may not be the cheapest of fastest way to get into the air, but i think the satisfaction of flying something your own hands built would be second to none.

Good luck regardless!! :)

-Steven

Everyone...

... need dreams! I think you are on the right track since you want to turn your dream into the "real thing" at your age!

Since you are so young, you've plenty of time so here's some ideas:

Get in touch with the local EAA chapter and get to know people there. I'm sure there's alot of nice people there who needs a helper from time to time. Then you'll get some hands-on training.

Also, hopefully these people are willing to let you work in their shop and let you use their tools sometime. That way you can build the practice kit and the toolbox and get some feel for building with metal with minimal costs.

Maybe you can involve your dad, an uncle or a friend in your dream? Or your mom or girlfriend for that mather!
Giving one of them a homemade toolbox for Christmas would sparkle their interest! ;)
Then the finances would be easier too... :D

Best of luck and let the updates come here to the forum!

Time

Ten years is going to go by, for everyone. The question is what are you going to do with it? There are a lot of things I can do, but not enough time to do everything I want. What do you REALLY want? Worst case, lose intrest in a few years and a few thousand dollars, sell out. Still a better experiance that what I was doing when I was your age! But if aviation really is in your blood, I belive there will be no satisfaction until you are firmly on a path to realize your dream.
You'll figure it out.

First, welcome to VAF!

There are several young builders out there. However, I would say it really depends on what is in store for your immediate future. Are you going to college? Going to be close to your kit? Have other builders based around you?

I was lucky enough to stumble upon a -3 empanage that was being given up on VAF. I was 18 at the time and chomping at the bit to drive rivets and build, so I jumped on it. It turned into great support from other VAF members, and I soon had a -3 tail kit in hand. I had dreams of finishing that tail immediately, but still had to gather tools, space, knoweldge, etc. Something everybody needs when starting a project.

But, I wasn't able to get tools I needed right away. My dad and I put together a room in a barn on our farm, and I moved the project into there. Finally many months later I was able and willing to cough up the dough for a tool kit, and I started playing. I had a pretty good set up to get building at home, but by then I was in college, 3 hours away from my project. It was hard to work on the tail when I was away from it for 1-2 months at a time. I spent time with the kit on an occasional weekend home, but spent more time studying the plans, looking things over, playing with some tools, maybe get a piece cut (you have to do much more with the -3). But it was difficult to get back to it later and see where you left off, and very time consuming to figure out after being away for so long. It was an example of life getting in the way, I wasn't going to have the money for the next kit till I had a job after college anyways, so I wasn't in any rush. But, I was learning, and that was my biggest goal.

I'm now 22, just graduated college, getting a job, and moving into the 'real world'. I'll be soon moving to a new place, and you can bet that my -3 tail and tools will be with me :D ! I will now be able to take my project with me and have it right there to work on. Plus, with an actual income now, I'll be able to save and purchase a fuse or set of wings when it comes time (hopefully before my girlfriend takes all my money *cough*) .

I don't discourage you at all from starting on a tail. It is a great learning experience. But in hindsight, you can get experience by finding a local builder and becoming a 'shop assistant' in your free time. I would recommend doing that instead to start out. Then when you have the means, location, and time, you can take on your own project. You will hit more roadblocks like I did if you don't have those things. But in time you will. Be patient, it will pay off, don't lose sight of your dream.

Thank, I appreciate the insight! I just got done talking to my step dad about helping out with a project like this. And to my surprise he was all about it. Ironically enough he is in the process of getting a barn set up on our farm. And when he does he said how we will set aside from for the build.

I am going to college to and will have the goal of becoming an commercial airline/ corporate pilot after school, and I know how I will be away for long periods of time. But I already have told myself that project like this doesn't need to be a hurry up thing so i can deal with the fact it may take me 5+ years to guitar done! But thats just the name of the game.

After talking for a long time to my friend who is building an RV-8 I realize why live with regret **** I'm going for it !

Ian :)

Hey Ian,

If I were your dad I would be so proud of you. Someone with a dream and an opportunity to turn it into reality - just do it. You will learn so much from tackling a project like this.

Don't let anything or anyone dampen your enthusiasm.

It will be tough - but if it were easy then everyone would do it.

Good luck, I'll be watching to read about your progress.

Doug Gray
http://bypass.dyndns-free.com/

It is never too early to start, as long as you can fund the project and not get yourself in trouble financially I say go for it. Ill give you a little bit of background on how my 7 got started.

I started flying when I was 14, ended up going to Embry- Riddle in Daytona to get a degree in Aeronautics and a minor in Air Traffic Control. 2 years into school I decided the airlines were not what I wanted to do so I joined the Army with the intent of flying helicopters. The day branches were given out my dreams were crushed and I was given Transportation instead of Aviation. The very next day I ordered my 7 tail kit. I figured I dident do it now the oportunity would never come up again. I was 21 at that time. I bought my tail kit untouched off someone in daytona took out a career starter loan through a military bank at 0% and bought all the tools I needed. That was 2 years ago and now I have a completed tail, wings and fuselage in my hanger for a finishing kit while im deployed down here in Afghanistan. With deployment money I am planning on buying the last kit, and a flying Cub or something similar that I will fly daily until I am ready for an engine. Pretty much, anything is possible as long as you have a plan, there will be a thousand people that will tell you to wait but there will be the one who tells you other wise. I am that one. Go for it and never look back, let people talk all they want, some will tell you its a waste of money some will tell you your too young but if its what you want to do go for it. Good luck with ya and let me know if theres anything I can help you with.

-david

Hey Ian,

If I were your dad I would be so proud of you. Someone with a dream and an opportunity to turn it into reality - just do it. You will learn so much from tackling a project like this.

Don't let anything or anyone dampen your enthusiasm.

Doug Gray
http://bypass.dyndns-free.com/

Absolutely go for it! Many airplanes have been built in living rooms and kitchens
and on small budgets. Never listen to the naysayers..

Welcome,

I'm entering my senior year at Embry-Riddle, Daytona this fall for aeronautical engineering and have already planned to build a Harmon Rocket II once I graduate, find a job, and get settled down somewhere. Been flying all my life, licensed for two years now, and friends at the airport I'm based at have flown/built/modified RV's (including this years RV Gold Class winner with the help of a very knowledgable friend) which has sparked my RV interest. I've looked into it extensively and went through hundreds of pictures of others' build progress and it's definitely something I want to be doing. If you have the drive for it, do it. Definitely be aware of the costs though.

After talking for a long time to my friend who is building an RV-8 I realize why live with regret **** I'm going for it !

Good plan! You won't regret it. Its amazing how much you will learn about the building process from this group, I know I have!

Wow guys, this being my first post I am amazed at the overwhelming responses. I read all of your guys's responses and I really appreciate all of you givving positive go for it advice.

The whole point about homebuilt RV's is so you can build it as you go. Of course finance is always in anything the main concern. But if you save up and buy when you have the cash saved up I am sure I can "afford it".

I have never let my age get in the way of my dreams and it will not get in the way here, because I am going for it! (once I have the tail money in a couple months.)

Thank you all for your comments and I hope to talk to you in other topics in here as i make my dream into a reality.

I will most certainly blog about it on my site www.pilotian.com

See you all soon!

RV-7 going together in FDY

Hi Ian,

Just sent you a PM. Have a -7 going together on the east side of town. feel free to give me a shout if you want to come over and talk RV's. If you haven't worked with aluminum yet I have everything here to get your skill set going. My neighbor just built a 7A in my shop and is based at 16G. Been up in an RV yet?

Jeff

I have never let my age get in the way of my dreams and it will not get in the way here, because I am going for it! (once I have the tail money in a couple months.)

Thank you all for your comments and I hope to talk to you in other topics in here as i make my dream into a reality.

Definitely a great attitude to have, and one I'll admit I wish I had more of ten years ago, when I had no expenses (I'm now 28) but instead foolishly spent a LOT of money on computers and cars. Heck, one job I had I could have easily paid for a Commercial Pilot's License in maybe 3-4 months (I was making $1,000 net a week at the time, with maybe $200 per week in expenses (fuel)), and the local field was only about 20 minutes away.

I would say definitely go for it - that way a few years later you'll quite possibly be flying the airplane, instead of bugging your uncle (who apparently performed at Oshkosh this year!) to take time out of his hectic schedule so he can finally take you up in his Rocket - I know eight years ago my grandfather was grinning like a madman when he went up!

Not a crazy notion at all. I was preparing for an RV build well before I was 18, just after finishing a solo three year ground up restoration of my first car. However, somehow I had the wisdom to conclude that those funds really needed to go into my education so that I could have the flexibility to do whatever the heck I wanted in the future. Less than 10yrs later, I was able to build a "no budget" RV with complete financial comfort, setting the stage for many more to come. A similar, but different path.

bought mine at 19

I bought my emp kit when i was 19 and in college (aerospace engineering and business). It took me 7 years to get it flying while balancing full time school, full time work (how else was I gonna pay for it?), and a college social life, but it was absolutely worth it! Good luck!
Paul

go for it

Hi Ian,

I too wanted to build an RV for a couple of year and my parents offered me for my 18 yo birthday a RV8 empennage kit.
It's a real pleasure to build such a beautiful plane.
Now I'm 19, in third year of an aeronautical engineering school in France and I'm actually working on the finishing kit (expecting to fly the RV8 next summer).
You have to know that it is a great but also time consuming experience.

But (even if mine isn't finish yet) if somebody ask me if I would like to do it again, I won't be hesitating for a second! Go for it!

First step: Order RV-8 preview plans...... Check!

Thanks guys I appreciate the positive feedback, now I cant wait for the plans to come in the mail. Im sure ill be looking at them alot! :)

I thanked all you at Vans Airforce in my blogpost at ww.pilotian.com!

Talk to you all soon.

I say go for it (I started at 21), but at the same time it should be very low on your list of priorities at such a young age. The reason I say that is becuase seemingly small decisions before and during college can change your life in a big way after school. Dont let it get in the way of school, far way internships, etc. My parents always said work hard for 4 years in school so you can take it easy for the next 40. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

I say go for it (I started at 21), but at the same time it should be very low on your list of priorities at such a young age. The reason I say that is becuase seemingly small decisions before and during college can change your life in a big way after school. Dont let it get in the way of school, far way internships, etc. My parents always said work hard for 4 years in school so you can take it easy for the next 40. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Love the website you have, very informative! School is numuro uno!!! then its this! but i also have flight training in there to.

Smarter than me at 18. I was hot for one of those new-fangled easy-to-build-and-fly BD-5 kits....