N941WR

Legacy Member
Yesterday I weighed my -9 and have some VERY good news to report.

990 lbs empty weight with a CG of 78.82.

This is an RV-9 tip-up complete, ready to fly.

Included in these numbers are all the instruments (Day/Night VFR) and interior. The fuselage was primed throughout during construction.

It does not include exterior paint, wheel pants, or fairings. I suspect these items will add around 30 lbs +/-.

Now to get the FAA out to inspect it so I can start flying.

990 lbs!!!!!!!

That's excellent Bill! I'm hoping to see similar numbers on mine. I think our performance is going to be very adequate at these weights, not to mention the efficiency.

Good news, Bill. According to Dan's calculator, it looks like you can carry 2 180# people + 100# of baggage so long as you have 12 gallons of fuel on board. 2 people, 2 backpacks... sounds like this is going to work! Thanks for posting your numbers.

'Scuse me for saying it, Bill, but you're a real lightweight among Nine builders. :D :D :D
Congrats ...those are great numbers.

Rupester
9A, QB fuse nearly done

WOW!

Sounds great, Bill. As I remember, you are using an O-290, right? How does that compare to the O-320? Also, what prop are you using? Mine was 1054 with paint, interior and pants and I thought THAT was good. Sounds like you beat me by 30-35 lb or so. You'll love it, especially light. Now to get it inspected and the 40 flown off in time for Oshkosh.

Bob Kelly

My weight was 1021 with paint but no pants and gear fairings and an O320 with a wood prop. Looks like the big difference is the engine weight.
Good job Bill! Can't wait to hear about that first flight!

Don't forget to take the pitot cover off. :rolleyes:

Congratulations Bill,
My -6 weighed 994 before paint & wheel pants. 1024 after, so your estimates are probably pretty close. The -9 is slighter bigger, so paint may add just a tad more. Of course it also depends on who paints it. Some painters add more paint than others.

Now to get it inspected and the 40 flown off in time for Oshkosh.
Way too many people talk about just "flying off the time", as if all you need to do is bore holes in the sky for 40 hours, then throw an unsuspecting passenger in back, and head off into the wild blue yonder. Then we see posts like "I was surprised by how the aircraft handled the first time I had a passenger in back".

We have a flight test phase for a reason - we are expected to carefully flight test the aircraft, engine, avionics, and systems over the full range of conditions we expect to see in service. This way we hope to run into any issues when we are mentally prepared to deal with them. For example, we should use ballast to simulate the weight of passenger and baggage, and evaluate the aircraft handling, so there won't be any surprises the first time we have some Bubba in back.

Take a good look at FAA Advisory Circular AC90-89A Amateur-Built Aircraft Flight Testing Handbook. It lays out a fairly comprehensive list of ground and flight tests that we really should be doing. We would be hard pressed to get all that done in 40 hours.

Don't rush the flight test program to meet some artificial deadline. Oshkosh will happen again next year.

Mel said:
Congratulations Bill,
My -6 weighed 994 before paint & wheel pants. 1024 after, so your estimates are probably pretty close. The -9 is slighter bigger, so paint may add just a tad more. Of course it also depends on who paints it. Some painters add more paint than others.
Mel,

That empty weight did include a fire extinguisher but not the extra tools, oil, tie downs, canopy cover, etc. I expect to haul with me. I have one of Van's tool box kits in the basement that I need to build. My thought was to fasten it to the baggage compartment floor in such a way as it could be removed when needed and not become a projectile in the event something unfortunate happens. I might still do that but for now, I just want to get it inspected and fly in circles to burn of my 40 hours. ;)

Kevin,

I've noticed that builders not trully testing their airplanes is one of your pet peeves and that you let others know. I couldn't agree more with you. There is not one thing that can make more lose respect for a builder/pilot more than that. I've seen people take passengers on the 2nd flight. It's the same thing as flying without a registration, medical or pilot certificate.

I don't understand how someone can take years to build an airplane and not really finish it. Flight testing IS part of BUILDING an airplane. I wonder how these builders write out their performance tables; actually most probably don't. I was a passenger in an experimental one day and asked the owner/builder who have 250+ hrs in the airplane how far he could glide from our current altitude. He didn't have a clue, come to find out he had never tested it!

Sorry for the 7500 Bill. Congratulation on being so close to first flight and keeping that weight down.

"then throw an unsuspecting passenger in back, and head off into the wild blue yonder. Then we see posts like "I was surprised by how the aircraft handled the first time I had a passenger in back".

I'll bet the aircraft would handle differently with an unsuspecting passenger in the back, especially in an RV-9. :p

Apology

videobobk said:
Now to get it inspected and the 40 flown off in time for Oshkosh.

With one week to go, I certainly thought everyone would look at that as a joke! My flight test took over three months and was VERY thorough. Doing that and an inspection in a week would be impossible. Sorry if anyone thought I was pushing Bill to do something silly.

Bob

Congratulations Bill

Way to go Bill!! You will be flying soon. Wish you could get Mel to do yours. He is the best.
Mel is coming over today do do my inspection. I may get a flight or two before OSH. I will be in the H B Camping area with my kit built Super Cub 'Shooter'
Will fly the new 8 to OSH next year.

Testing new AC

Way to go Bill. Nice weight.

I talked to my DAR about full gross weight testing. He simply said, "take someone with you. They become essential crew. Do a full set of stall, slow flight etc. so you can feel the full gross weight handling."

He went on to tell me that he didn't like ballast because of the difficulty of securing.

I took a fellow pilot with me at hour 35 to do 1.1 of full gross weight testing. We did all that was mentioned. I also had him log some CHT temps while I concentrated on slow flight. All documented.

I think too many people get worked up about this. You know if you are violating the regs by calling someone "essential crew" just so you can give a ride. If you are taking someone and doing legitimate flight testing to finish Phase I, then good.

Yes the plan handles differently. A major difference? Not really. I do know that I can land the plane better with someone on board.

Repeat of an important question; was the weighing done with certified scales or Wal-Mart's best?

I've personally weighed both ways and got a 50 lb difference on the same airplane.

DanH said:
Repeat of an important question; was the weighing done with certified scales or Wal-Mart's best?

I've personally weighed both ways and got a 50 lb difference on the same airplane.
Dan,

Since you are being so instant the answer is...

Certified, no.

Calibrated, yes.

My weights were:

R: 467
L: 466
TW: 57

The scales are accurate and the weights are good. Do you need certified scales? No, I've seen certifed scales that are way off. I would much rather have calibrated scales any day.

Equipment

The thread regarding How much power is enough made me realize I never listed how my -9 was equipped.

As you can see, it is a well equipped Day/Night VFR airplane.

Interior:
Paint, sound proofing on floor only, and very light carpet.
Van's seat cushions covered in leather w/ sheepskin slip covers.

Panel:
Van's Airspeed, altimeter, and slip ball.
Dynon EFIS D100 w/ internal battery, AoA pitot tube and Mode C encoder
Dynon EMS D10
Airgizmo & Garmin 496
iCom A200 radio
Garmin 320 transponder
Sigtronics stereo intercom
ACK ELT
Affordable Panels panel w/ sub-panel
DJM center mount throttle quadrant
Aviation breakers and breaker-switches

Airframe options:
Tip-up
Tail dragger
Primmer used throughout
Hooker five point camlock harnesses
Andair fuel valve
Right side brakes
Parking brake
Manual elevator and aileron trim
Electric flaps (Standard on the -9)
Bell tailwheel
Duckworth 100W landing (right wing) and Taxi (left wing) lights
Skybright position lights and strobes
Capacitive fuel sending units w/ Dynon capacitance converters
SafeAir1 static ports

FWF:
O-290-D2 w/ standard MA3 carb
Saber Manufacturing prop extension
Catto two bladed composite prop (9 lbs!)
Van's exhaust
Duel P-mags w/ auto plugs
Van's cowling
Van's 60A IR alternator
Sky-Tec LS Flyweightâ„¢ starter
Dynon sending units (fuel flow, CHT, EGT, Oil & fuel pressure, etc.)

Last edited:
Sweet!

Weighed mine,

1002 lbs.! That does not include my interior (seats and carpet) Once I get the interior installed I will have to reweigh or recompute. Still it should only add 20-30 lbs.

LM=475
RM=474
TW=53

Empty 1070 lbs

..seems like a good thread to post a buncha weights.
2006 RV-9a slider
mine is 1070 empty
fully finished, 1 colour paint, pants & fairings
nite VFR equipped, ELT fire ext. etc.
steam gauges
no cabin upholstery
minimal soundproofing & carpets
0-320 FP metal, carb'd

interesting when talking payload, useful load, moving CG etc.
I put the 'essential equipment' on the scale...takes quite a bite out of the payload, and not all of it can go right behind the seats! As you'll see, I'm not carrying a spare tube, light bulbs or many other 'recommended' spares for journey farther afield.

5 lbs. first aid kit
10 lbs survival kit( summer, no boots or parka!)
5 lbs tool kit,( spark plug + minimal oil)
5 lbs chocks, rope tiedowns, cover
5 lbs water, food, camera, rags, cleaner etc. etc.

I should add that I have an empty weight CG of 78.05. With a Gross weight profile, I do get an aft CG of 84.02. Still within the 84.84 limit. With a passenger (185lbs) and minimum fuel, max baggage I do have the potential to get an out of AFT CG.

I am going to mount some things more FWD (fire ext, tool bag, etc) than what I originally planned.

I have a 2 bladed Catto, o-320, dual P-mags, Single Skyview, 1 nav/com 2 portable GPS.

Last edited: