Alan Carroll

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of replacing my vacuum gyros with a GRT Sport. Weight savings are often mentioned as a benefit of doing this, so I was curious to see how much the gyros and associated stuff actually weighs. I weighed everything on a postal scale, including the vacuum pad adaptor and gear, vacuum pump, hoses, regulator, filter, gyros, vacuum sensor, and misc. hardware (hose clamps etc). The grand total: 10 pounds, 11 ounces.

I don't have a precise weight for the GRT system yet but its specified at 3.5 pounds for the EFIS. Maybe 4 to 4.5 pounds with the magnetometer and wiring? If so then the weight savings is about 7 pounds or so, which is pretty good. However, if I were to add a second screen, extra alternator, or large backup battery I could easily get close to where I started.

I still have a lot to learn about all the glass stuff but even if you end up with the same weight, won't you have much more functionality and capability?

Cheers,

I still have a lot to learn about all the glass stuff but even if you end up with the same weight, won't you have much more functionality and capability?

Without a doubt, yes. Some advanatages are easy to point out, some are harder to quantify.

Cheers,

Yes; I was just documenting the weight part of the equation because I had not previously seen a reliable number. Its also undeniable that you get a lot more functions with glass (ie you can create displays that wouldn't otherwise be possible). Capability is a bit harder to quantify as Paul points out.

Last edited: