CATPart

Well Known Member
Searched and searched for an answer before I posted. I know the long landing gear are heavier than the short. What is the weight increase when fully converted from short to long gear legs? Any idea of CG shift? I don't expect the CG shift to amount to much. I expect the conversion from short to long to include 4 new weldments which may also be heavier depending upon the vintage of your bird.
Thanks!

Motor mount

I think the long gear legs call for a new motor mount. Different angle in the mount to make the wheels end up in the correct location.
Don't remember where I heard this, could be wrong.

You are correct, they do require a new motor mount. So at a minimun you have new mount, The parts kit to fix the new mounts inboard hole mismatch with the old holes, new legs, extend the brake lines, extend anything else that needed it.

So what are we talking here, 5, 10, 15 pound total increase in weight? Actual numbers and not guesstimates are appreciated.

Last edited:
Wow. Vans community is stumped on this one I guess. Well I was told by a pretty reliable source that the total weight gain is around 15 pounds.

Wow. Vans community is stumped on this one I guess. Well I was told by a pretty reliable source that the total weight gain is around 15 pounds.

Gee David, don't want you to feel ignored. I'd say the 15 lbs. is a good guesstimate. On my present -4, I changed to the long gear in 2003. There were other changes also and we did a complete new Weight & Balance. I cannot give you an accurate figure on the weight difference. We just didn't consider the specific weight difference. The long gear was going on regardless. Good question, wish I'd noted it.

Then I had it completely refurbished in 2011/2012 and another W&B. So, others are probably like me and just don't have the specific info to give you.

Russ McCutcheon can probably help out here.

Best,

Gee David, don't want you to feel ignored. I'd say the 15 lbs. is a good guesstimate. On my present -4, I changed to the long gear in 2003. There were other changes also and we did a complete new Weight & Balance. I cannot give you an accurate figure on the weight difference. We just didn't consider the specific weight difference. The long gear was going on regardless. Good question, wish I'd noted it.

Then I had it completely refurbished in 2011/2012 and another W&B. So, others are probably like me and just don't have the specific info to give you.

Russ McCutcheon can probably help out here.

Best,

Sorry not much help from me either, the engine mounts are going to be about the same weight, the difference is going to be in the gear legs and I don't know what it is. I would just do a new W & B.