PaulR

Well Known Member
Up until Saturday, I had my mind made up on a 9A. However, after the great ride in a friends 7A, I have to rethink. My only concern after much searching through Matronics, Yahoo, and here is with the CG. I would have an O-360 and either a FP Sen. or Catto prop. Using Dan C's (great site, thanks) W&B calculator, it appears that, loaded, and with minimum fuel, the CG could be up to 1" or so aft of the aft limit. Obviously, there aren't many 7A's listed with FP and only one wood prop.
I have read about folks with heavy after market prop spacers and am wondering if that's a viable option.
I had flown another 9A before and didn't think anything would or could be better but the 7A is certainly more responsive. Any help would be much appreciated as I plan to order this week.
Thanks
Paul

i have a 7A with sensensich fp prop and was originally out of aft cg with five gals fuel and two pilots and 100 lbs baggage. so i tied my tool kit (15 lbs)down to the left main gear weldement forward of the main wing spar and under my legs. it keeps me within limits and provides a xcountry tool kit and dosen't interfere with my flying in any way. fred

Another option

I don't know why some of the -7 builders haven't tried this yet. It might because they didn't know it was available.

The finishing kit for my -9 arrived the other week and in it is my engine mount and cowling. Well, wouldn't you know it, since I'm using a smaller, lighter engine, I have a slightly longer engine mount and cowling. The part number on the cowling is -9-235.

The question is, if -7 has an aft W&B issue, why not try a slightly longer engine mount?

Just my $.02

N941WR said:
why not try a slightly longer engine mount?

...or get an IO-390!

There is no replacement for displacement!

From my point of view, that is why we have -7's and -9's. If you want a smaller engine, get the -9. The -7 is better balanced with the heavy engine. No need for hi-jinks.

;) CJ

how do you get 180 lbs heavier when the O-360 weighs about 15 lbs heavier than the O-320. My 7A weighed in at 1072 lbs with an O-360 and a sensenich fp prop. fred